narrowing a ford 8.8

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
I just got a ford 8.8 out of a ford expolder and I was gonna narrow it 3 inches on the driver side. Does anyone know how to narrow a ford 8.8 safely. I was just gonna cut three inches out of the middle and weld it back but I was told that is not safe. Any help would be great.

budss396

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
Evansville, Indiana
3" on the drivers side only? that's strange.

send your axles to Moser and they can re-spline them and shorten them. while they are there have them install c-clip eliminators.

Take your housing to someone who has a rear end jig and have them cut the axle housing end off the remove 3" from the drivers side and then do a 30-35 degree bevel on the end of the housing and on the housing end.
set up the jig in the housing leave 1/16-3/32 inch gap between the 2 pieces and have it tack welded at 4 different points. DO NOT USE A STICK WELDER IR GAS WELDER.
weld 1/2" turn the housing 180 degrees and weld 1/2" turn 90 degrees and weld 1/2" turn 180 etc.
note that 8.8 axle tubes are real thin about 11 gage they are going to warp if you get uneven heat. take your time. After that remove the jig and cut the bearing housings according to the c-clip eliminator instructions and you are good to go.

BUD

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
ya Im getting it cut down three inches off the long side (it has an offset pinion of around 2 1/4 inches) and that a way I can use another axle out of the salvage yard. A local shop said they would cut it down for 50 bucks, he said he has a jig also, so im gonna let him do it I guess.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!