Need cam ID help

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
I don't remember all the details, (must be getting too old....). I think that the TPI motors went roller in 1986. Probably the TBI motors too. I am not sure when the truck motors went roller, but it is around then, maybe a year or two later.

ProJunk

Dragway Regular
Sep 12, 2006
Glendale, AZ
1986-later passenger car engines (with the exception of TBI) are hydraulic roller equipped. I've heard several people claim to have 1985 TPI roller engines, but haven't personally seen one. Trucks didn't receive hydraulic roller valvetrain until 1996 with the release of the Vortec engine, although I have seen some early production 1996 Vortec engines that were still flat tappet. The '86-later truck blocks and TBI passenger car blocks have the correct block casting for factory roller retention hardware, but were not equipped with roller valvetrain. I have seen variations on the truck blocks where the casting is correct for the retention hardware but not drilled and tapped for any of the fasteners.

Just another cam suggestion... take a look at the Comp Cams 08-300-8. This cam works very well in most GM injected applications, and makes a lot of low-end & mid-range torque while extending your useable RPM range into the low-to-mid-5,000 level.

ElCaminoBill

Pro Stocker
Feb 8, 2004
South Carolina
ProJunk said:
1986-later passenger car engines (with the exception of TBI) are hydraulic roller equipped. I've heard several people claim to have 1985 TPI roller engines, but haven't personally seen one. Trucks didn't receive hydraulic roller valvetrain until 1996 with the release of the Vortec engine, although I have seen some early production 1996 Vortec engines that were still flat tappet. The '86-later truck blocks and TBI passenger car blocks have the correct block casting for factory roller retention hardware, but were not equipped with roller valvetrain. I have seen variations on the truck blocks where the casting is correct for the retention hardware but not drilled and tapped for any of the fasteners.

Just another cam suggestion... take a look at the Comp Cams 08-300-8. This cam works very well in most GM injected applications, and makes a lot of low-end & mid-range torque while extending your useable RPM range into the low-to-mid-5,000 level.

That's some good info, thanks. :D

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts