NEED HELP DECODING SAGINAW CASTING NUMBERS

LIVE4RDO

Frequent Racer
Jul 21, 2010
Staten Island, NY
CAN SOMEONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON WHAT THE HELL DO I HAVE, PLEASE.

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

malibu8.jpg

El Coolmino

Top Fueler
May 11, 2005
DSM IA under a green truck
Most likely came behind a 4 cyl originally. The 3 rings in the input shaft indicate it's got the lowest first gear (3.5) of all saginaw 4 speeds. Unless a car was special ordered with a close ratio transmission you can kind of guess the engine it was coupled to, with larger engines getting higher first gear ratios.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
My $.02, it's a Saginaw and if you beat on it much you'll likely break it :lol: Imo there isn't much to be gained (other than personal knowledge) from the casting numbers. The main case is probably the same as any other 4-speed Saginaw, I think the only difference came in the tailshaft. Mine has lived so far for the most part (same gear set), but I don't shift it hard or shock it much at all. Somehow a couple of the reverse teeth on the countergear chipped off, and it's not like I race it in reverse or anything. It's definitely no rock crusher.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Word... just like a taller gearset having less teeth, allowing for thicker teeth.

To be honest I did have a day I beat on it a bit during a cruise in Troy, MI, everybody was doing burnouts alongside the curbs when cops weren't around :lol: It seemed to hold up ok, but they were just 1st gear and I didn't have to shock it too hard to break the tires loose. On another note it was over an hour drive each way. I took it down & back, never got the least bit warm, even though at least half of the cruise was stop & go style.

LIVE4RDO

Frequent Racer
Jul 21, 2010
Staten Island, NY
What are my chances of selling it?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
If you find the right buyer, and if it's in perfect internal shape then it's probably good for $200-$300 tops. I bought mine with the internals in near perfect shape (outside wasn't the prettiest, but overall in real good shape) for something like $125-$150 if I remember right.

El Coolmino

Top Fueler
May 11, 2005
DSM IA under a green truck
Doober said:
If you find the right buyer, and if it's in perfect internal shape then it's probably good for $200-$300 tops. I bought mine with the internals in near perfect shape (outside wasn't the prettiest, but overall in real good shape) for something like $125-$150 if I remember right.

LOL
I've had a nice looking 3 groove saginaw with indy shifter in my swap meet booth for the last 3 years tagged at 150 and get ten offers per meet of $50, nobody's willing to pay more. If you can get 300 drop me a PM about selling mine on commission :)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts