Need help setting up my rear end

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
I have a 12 bolt that I need to get set up. Is there anyone around here that is willing to help me set this thing up. I am pretty good at alot of stuff, but setting these things up has to be perfect. The last one I did howled. I would be willing to make it worth someones while if someone could help a fella out. I would even be willing to drive to your house in the area to set this thing up. I have all of it to set up and just need to get it done. Would like to install it before I do the brake bleeding and so on.

Eric

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
I can help just PM me and will work it out. Jim

406Monte

Dragway Regular
Nov 30, 2007
Hubert, NC
pm sent

Damon

Pro Stocker
Feb 7, 2005
Philly Area
A few years back I was given a lesson by an old timer who ran a shop for a living (and raced Pro Stock back in the 60s). His advice: put it back together with the stock shims and nothing else. Pinion and side carrier shims, exactly like it came apart (even if changing the differential carrier). I was sceptical but did it as he said without measuring ANYTHING during reassembly. Contact pattern was perfect. It was the first set of Richmond gears I ever used that were quiet as stock! Ran them for a LONG time without problems. Done 3 more since then exactly the same way and every one has worked flawlessly.

Of course, this will not work if you have already messed around with non-stock shims and have a howler on your hands. Only works from a stock setup that is in good condition, obviously.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
This is something you need to be careful with. I does work sometimes... BUT to trust this way will eventually lead you to a grenade sooner or later...lol.

For a starter I agree use the stock pinion shim to start.

This trick will also depend on the gear company producing a QUALITY gear and using the same industry standard pinion bearing depth land on the pinion gear compared to GM / Ford ? mopar etc.

Inother words as long as the gear company goes off the original brands specs you should be able to do this.
BUT with bearing tolerances and all the different gear companies making gears and JUST tolerances in the gear and lapping. BETTER ALWAYS check that pattern and backlash to be sure .

Glad you had all the luck, hope it continues for you. :)

big gear head

Daily Driver
Nov 3, 2010
Central City, KY
I've built hundreds of rear ends and only 2 times have the original shims worked out to be right. I know many people have done this and got away with it, but for all of the ones that did there have been many more that had to buy a new set of gears and start all over doing it the right way. I know because I've fixed a bunch of them.

monzaz

Dragway Regular
Aug 10, 2005
Richfield, Oh
www.jdrace.com
Yep, It will get you close...BUT close is only good in horse shoes and HAND GRENADES...lol. :D

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!