Need more power outlets for devices on trip......

383S10

Frequent Racer
Feb 29, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Need more power outlets for devices on trip timme for the Powertour and I need a nice permanent way of adding power ports(cigarette lighter sockets) to power GPS, cell phones, and Sirius radio.....so I would like to see how you guys tackled this issue post pics if you can thanks again....

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
I used one of those 1to3 adapters you get from Wallie world. I mounted it behind the console of my wife’s Passat, and hard wired it in with an inline fuse.
Being behind the console it's not easy to access but not imposable. So I put the XM and GPS into it since it stays in there most of the time.

I don't have pics, but I had used some extra lighter sockets, added them to an aluminum panel, wired them all in parallel, and used a tack on 30A fuse in the power seat fuse spot. This was on my 83 wagon years back. Real cheap since most of the parts came from junkyard cars.

383S10

Frequent Racer
Feb 29, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Thanks for the suggestins but I settled on a 2 waterproof housing 12v hot plugs....going to hook them in parallel one will mounted in glove box and the other dash or console with a double usb spacesaver plug in adapter............

There ya go. I am adding a few in the Wagon. In the back of the console, in the rear hatch area. All the new vehicles have a bunch of power outlets ya know? You kind of need them nowadays.

Good luck.

383S10

Frequent Racer
Feb 29, 2004
Huntsville, AL
liquidh8 said:
There ya go. I am adding a few in the Wagon. In the back of the console, in the rear hatch area. All the new vehicles have a bunch of power outlets ya know? You kind of need them nowadays.

Good luck.

So true I only had the one by the radio which already being used by my Sirius XM receiver......when traveling I had no way to recharge with multiple devices plus when you add a rider I needed extra outlets for PSP, cells, sat, mini air compressor, and etc for a long trip that I have coming up........and i NEED to completed my 140 amp alternator upgrade too......

Yeah man. The bigger alt upgrade is worth it to. again, good luck!.

383S10

Frequent Racer
Feb 29, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Completed my 140 amp alternator upgrade.......was very easy on my serpentine set up.....just had to use a smaller longer bolt to secure on short threaded side.......at idle the amp reading at battery was 14.67.......stereo sounded louder to me........will update more later.........

Nice, glad it worked out for you so far. I bigger alternator is a worthwhile upgrade for today's vehicles and all the electronics we run/need.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts