Need to drop my '80 Monte a bit...best way??

Stell80Monte

Weekend Racer
Mar 13, 2007
Sayville, NY
It's been eating me up for a few days now...I''ve been doing some research on what to do, and I *THINK* I have the front end figured out, but I wanted to get on here and get a couple of opinions from guys that would know.

'80 Monte, all steel SBC (nothin' crazy lol). No more gas tank/straps, spare, jack, etc...no more climate control, inner wheel wells, so I shaved some weight off of it. Also put the tubular 4-link bars in the rear, and all together the car is sitting too high for what I like/want, and compared to how it used to sit. NOW it looks like a wannabe cop car, lol.

Anyway, after some google'ing and some reading it seems like 2" drop spindles for a '82-'92 S10 will be the solution for the front end...a lot of people seem to like the idea of the drop spindles, and the fact that those S10 drop spindles, #1 fit the g-bodies perfectly (from what I read at least...), and #2 are a decent amount cheaper makes them look like a very attractive solution for the front end.

But the rear I am still undecided on. I know there are springs out there that will drop me 1.25", 1.5"...but I'm thinking I want a full 2", maybe even a tad MORE. I've got a good friend, local, with a alum. head SBC '79 bu that thinks he has v6 springs in his car all the way around, and it sits NICE. What are people's experience with those springs? Or should I just be focusing on the lowering springs? Now, I hope I don't get rocks thrown at me for this, but cutting some of the coils off crossed my mind, although I don't know how good a thing that is to do.

So I know there are options, I'm just trying to get a feel for what people like to do...and if someone has done it in the past. Let me know what you think! And thanks in advance for the help...whatever information people can offer me, I appreciate it!

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Personally, I wouldn't cut a spring on a bad bet. It increases the spring rate & if you heat it too much it loses it's temper & will sag over time. I have my original 229 V6 rear springs I'd let go if you really want to go that route & can't find any. Let me know.

Tommy

jazzbo

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2008
Lebanon, Tn
Id just start dating a fat girl. That will lower the car some... MAybe let her sit in the back?

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
jazzbo said:
Id just start dating a fat girl. That will lower the car some... MAybe let her sit in the back?
you talked about dropped spindles before go that route,less stares that way :p

Stell80Monte

Weekend Racer
Mar 13, 2007
Sayville, NY
jazzbo I didn't say I want it to SCRAPE! LOL But like melloelky said, maybe the drop spindles will do the trick since I won't get stared at as much then!

At least that takes care of the front though, so we've got that figured out (I knew that would be the easier end to figure out, haha).

But Tommy I'm interested in those v6 springs. I know from the past your very knowledgable...you have any rough assumptions on HOW MUCH those v6 springs would drop my rear, and also do you have an asking price?

Thanks!

Stell80Monte

Weekend Racer
Mar 13, 2007
Sayville, NY
Well, I found out a little bit of information on what I have in the car right now. Pulled the receipt from August '05 when I bought the rear coils that are in the car now...MOOG # 5379. Also spoke to MOOG tech. and found out that for that car (as well as the other g-bodies of the same period) those are the lightest coils they have available - and are for v6 models.

Ohhhh boy! Just figured I'd put that out there...

jazzbo

Frequent Racer
Jan 20, 2008
Lebanon, Tn
Yeah I was just joking about the girl. Those moog springs are the v6 springs. I went through the same deal with my car. I ended up just trying to live with what I have now and am going to go the air bag route when I can save the money. You can do alot with airbags these days. I know a lot of people dont agree with cutting a coil but at the same time MANY have and are happy with it. I would try to find another set on the cheap and experiment with cutting them a coil or two. If you dont like it than put the good ones back in.
Look in the search type in lowering help.
Look at appsk8r car. He has his about as low as you can go and still drive it regular.

Stell80Monte

Weekend Racer
Mar 13, 2007
Sayville, NY
That's a REAL sharp 'bu!! Slammed, too!! Maybe too low for what I want my car to be ike, lol, but I'm thinking of 2 options...both OPG springs:

1.) 2" drop spindles, 2" drop springs up front (4" total front drop)...3" drop springs in the rear.

Or...

2.) NO drop spindles, 3" drop springs up front...2" drop springs in the rear.

Id like to go with the first option and get that extra inch, but talking to a friend we were thinking that goin that low (as in option 1) may not hook up because it may not want to squat and plant the tires as well (??). If someone with experience enough could chime in and reassure me otherwise, that with my tubular 4 links (and maybe a lil better shocks?) I would stick and plant, I'm goin for it LOL.

Thanks for he help so far people!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts