New to Firearms

Jay2ffu

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2007
chicago
i259.photobucket.com
Just got my foid a couple of months ago,don't know where to start,what are good brands ? Which ones should I stay away from?

Here are a couple I'm interested in,
Herstal five seven and an ar15 Any advice would be appreciated.

J.

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I would see if there are any gun ranges in your area. Sometimes they are setup to rent firearms this is the route I would take if possible. This will get you some hands on experience something better than reading about it. Though it is not a bad idea to have as much information as possible it may vary from your perspective hands on.

The AR is pretty expensive but versatile with the different caliber it can be setup for. The 5seven is also pretty expensive and expensive to shoot.

I would start off with a 911 style 9mm for a pistol or if you want a rifle get a 22 caliber rifle. Just to get comfortable with and pretty cheap to shoot.

What are you looking to do? Just want to get your feet wet or looking for home defense?

DonM

Dragway Regular
May 29, 2003
Twin Cities, Minnesota
I agree with 1981Regal. Go to your local range and the majority of them do rent handguns and some have rifles too. It's not a bad way to narrow your choices down but it can cost you money that you can otherwise put toward your ultimate purchase. In the line of handguns I prefer Glock and I have never heard anything bad about them. Great for home defense, SUPER reliable and modestly priced. If you are looking for something more top of the line you could look at something more in the line of a Kimber. They are more refined. I have a Glock .40 and I really like the caliber. It has a little more punch than a 9mm and a little more manageable than a .45.

On the rifle side I would go with an AR-15 handsdown. Without getting in the gun debate about AR's that is all over the news nowdays, Bushmaster makes nice rifles. I have not heard anything bad about any of the other manufacturers (DPMS, SIG, Colt, Rock River, the list goes on). However, due to the tragic shootings and paranoia as of late, an AR may be hard to get. Apparently they are flying off the shelves due to the fact a ban on them is being anticapated by many. I spent alot of time with the M16 while in the US Army Infantry and have 2 Bushmaster rifles. I have a scoped heavy barrel for target shooting and I have an M4A3 style that I accessorized for my home defense weapon. I am not a gun fanatic and only shoot them a few times a year but will admit there is a sense of security having one of these on hand. Here is a pic of the M4.

DSC04184.jpg

DSC04178.jpg

Good luck whatever you decide to do and be responsible. Keep them locked up and away from any kids if you have them around. Invest in a handgun locker if you choose to go the handgun route and if you go with a rifle, Sentry makes a nice Home Defense Center which is a gun cabinet that holds one rifle and a handgun for home defense accessibility.

DonM

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL
hey im in the south loop area, best place to try different guns by us is mega sports in plainfield or gat guns out by shaumberg. they have a sht load you can rent and try, and i know mega sports has two of every gun ever made in all finishes! definately get one soon tho, prices are skyrocketing, and obummer wants to take them all away.

Jay2ffu

Amateur Racer
Oct 18, 2007
chicago
i259.photobucket.com
Wow,didn't even think of the shooting range thing Thanks, I've been to gat guns never heard of mega sports but I will definitely check them out. I go to a men's retreat every year way up north in Wisconsin we have a large group and just about everyone owns several guns and rifles. I like the shot guns and skeet shooting and have fired some pretty big hand guns like the ruger super redhawk .44 and a casull .454 way to powerful for a beginner like me but it was very cool, I'm looking at a .22 cal revolver and rifle and a .38 special it's a package deal all 3 or nothing my coworker won't separate them,I'd like to get both the .22's for target practice. My wife bought me a Sentry gun locker for my birthday so I will have a good place to keep them. I was wanting the AR and the 5 seven for home defense, I'll post some pics of the ones my coworker has tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it.

J.

Blue Knight

Frequent Racer
Mar 23, 2012
Depending on where your actual location is, you may not be able to legally own any of the "fun" stuff. I dont believe you can own an ar or ak in cook county along with hand guns....yet

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I own a Bushmaster DCM competition AR-15 (heavy-weighted national match version with match barrel, adjustable rear apertures, two stage trigger, etc). It's been a great rifle, and other than the two stage trigger being a little sticky at times, I've never had a malfunction with it. Accuracy-wise, I used to routinely blow the spindle out of the spotter plug at 200 yds out of the box with el-cheapo Sellier & Belloit green box ammo with the factory sites. All around great rifle, and if you buy a flat-topped version with a free floating barrel, it's almost limitless the amount of crap you can pile on one!

If you're new-new to shooting, I would also recommend something like a Ruger Mark III pistol. I have one with a bull barrel and adjustable match sites, and it's an awesome shooting little .22. Easy to service, aftermarket parts galore, and fits you like a 1911. Cheap as dirt to shoot, too!

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL
we can own ar style rifles (i refuse to call them assault rifles) in cook county, just not within the city of chicago limits. its such a joke out here, especially on the south side. the gangs are so heavily armed its not even funny. the typical weekend body count is like 15-20 people. makes me laugh in a way.

but getting back to the topic, a .22 is fun for about 10 minutes, then you'll wonder why you even got one. they are cheap yes, but for a few more bucks you can get into a 9mm, and that ammo is not all that expensive. avoid midwest guns in Lyons, they suck. so far the cheapest factory ammo ive found is when bass pro has their monthly sales, and as for guns, if you know someone who is an ffl dealer (check craigslist) you can order guns pretty cheap from grabagun.com and budsgunshop.com. a cheap transfer fee from an ffl dealer should be no more than abut 35 bucks... midworst charges about 50-100, but like i said they treat you like a jerk when you go in there no matter who you are.

brunz21

Amateur Racer
Jan 17, 2012
chicago, IL
sorry jay2, i just re-read your post and i didnt see that you mentioned getting the package deal. i didnt mean to knock the .22's, but you will eventually be hell bent on getting something bigger, especially being a drag racer, we always want bigger and badder! i say go for it!

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
Just to put it out there, if you haven't grown up shooting with your family I would strongly recommend a shooting safety class for you and anyone else in your home. New shooters just don't understand what safety means when it comes to handling a firearm. I've also seen a lot of "experienced" shooters that have no business handling firearms. One can learn an awful lot from a short safety class.

I've read way too many articles about accidental shootings in homes. It's frightening how often empty guns kill people.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!