Now the fun begins - rewired car

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
Well I re-wired my car with a used interior harness and now things just aint working right. Figured out the headlight harness last night due to a missing ground in the harness, but now have to work on the brake switch, when I plug it in all my parking lights will light up dimly, so I'm thinking there must be another couple grounds missing somewhere. I just love wiring and electrical ](*,)

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
looks like I finally have the last issue figured out. My left front blinker would intermitantly quit working, and in the process light up my turn indicator on the dash, ended up finding a ground wire at the headlight that must be broke or corroded on the inside, cut that out and jumped a ground and all seems to be working properly now. Let this be a lesson to all, dont underestimate the power of a good ground, as all my issues were ground related.

hypeboy

Daily Driver
Aug 4, 2011
waa i guess i messed up with my headlights.. I'm into rewiring the same what'd you do. in the end it just turned worse. damn.. he high beams at half voltage whenever the low beams are off and the e-brake is off. where is that wire that would save my life..

malicad

Dragway Regular
Dec 8, 2009
South Milwaukee, WI
With how popular our cars have been getting, I am amazed that no one makes a replacement wiring harness. Just rediculous! They've got wiring harnesses for obscure cars you see once in a blue moon at a car show, but hit the local drag scene, and you've got some of the G-bodies pushing 600 hp with 30 year old wiring! Somebody should start making one! I suspect most people on this site would get one...myself included...are you listening, Painless?? :)

81classic

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2003
North Port, Fl
the one thing I realy learned was the power of a good ground. After I figured out everything, when I started my car I ran into another issue of lights turning on when my electric fans started. One dull headlight, the hi beam indicator & right turn indicator turned on in the dash. I ran a ground straight from the battery to my ground junction and problem fixed, even sped up the fans.

Even if your gounds are hooked up, verify with a ground wire from the battery that it really is a good ground.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts