Oil Leak back of the intake

2doorBu

Frequent Racer
Ok, here is my issue. I have a 350 sbc that is leaking out of the backside of the intake. I have used black rtv silicone and that has not solved the issue, i have used just Right Stuff and that didn't work. Next go around I decided to lay a bead down allow it to skin and then layed another bead of Right Stuff down and still a leak. The block is a 95-96 one piece rear main gen 1 casting. The block was "0" decked. When I originally assembled the my 383 it had the brodix track 1 heads and brodix single plane intake and no leak but had no bottom end. So i decided to but a edelbrock rpm air gap and ever since then I have had a leak. I have spent my last 3 weekends attempting to reseal it. I have been using the felpro 1206 that brodix recommends. I thought about using the gaskets that edelbrock recommends from their line but side by side everything seems to be indentical except the manufactorer name on them. Any help would be much appreciated

purple barney

Frequent Racer
Mar 29, 2009
Raleigh NC
just a thought you did put the gasket back on the dizzy? i know it sounds stupid but ive seem them leak from there and looks like coming from the back side of motor

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Did you use RTV silicone on the ends of the intake, lay down a bead, let it skin over before you put the intake in place?

Check to make sure the oil pressure fittings are tight? With teflon tape in place? where it threads into the block?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I've read to not use teflon tape on the pressure sensor... I used the paste instead.

NEW2MALIBU

Dragway Regular
Mar 5, 2007
idaho
I had (2) problems back there. First my oil pressure gauge line was leaking. I did like doober and used the paste. Leak stopped. Next I had oil leaking out of the back of the intake. I took the engine builders advice , who said use The Right Stuff and put it on like a 4 year old putting toothpaste on his brush for the first time. I did end up applying it pretty heavy, leak is gone now. I have always been a little to apprehensive with the silicone because I never wanted it inside my oil pump, which I have seen on more than one occasion. My only other suggestion is to use some clay on the block rail, spray it down with some teflon or similar, set the intake on there and bolt it down. Remove it and check to see that the intake contacts the rail for the full length. I have seen where the intake doesn't contact the block rail where it makes the little curve. Just a suggestion.

2doorBu

Frequent Racer
gasket is on the distributor, i have used the paste on the oil pressure gauge in the rear. when i used Right Stuff I still seem to have a small leak. Has anyone else had the issue after decking the block to 9.0" ? any ever use the gray silicone? someone told me that it is really strong stuff. i measured the gap on the intake to the block and it measured out to 0.16" at the max point. do you think I need to mill the intake down? I just hope not to as I still daily drive it

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
I use the copper silicon. .160 isnt bad, what kind of oil line are you using? nylon? i had a problem with mine leaking at the fitting, put silicon around it and gone. Can you see the leak at the back?

holtjohn

Frequent Racer
Oct 15, 2008
My block is zero decked and I have the same issue, mine only seams to leak at higher rpms. I really havent found a solution either, but it doesnt leak bad enough to bother me since my motor is mostly a track car and it doesnt leak real bad, I just make sure to clean it up between rounds. I added a pvc valve with made it leak less, but wish I could figure it out too.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!