Oil Leak on SBC 400 engine???'s

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I have a SBC 400 shortblock engine that is bored .40 over that has recently been rebuit,I bought the shortblock and assembled it and it runs GOOD but there is a oil leak coming from the back of the engine like were the rearmain seal is,when I put the engine together I used a one piece FelPro rubber oil pan gasket,I took the engine out and pulled the oil pan and removed the rear main seal cap and the rear main seal look NEW is there any where else the oil can be leaking from?THANK

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
Are you sure you used the correct rear main seal? 400's that have been align-honed require a specific rear main seal.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
2909 is the correct seal for a 400 that has been line honed...but check my latest post in my thread..

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=89367&start=690

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I installed a FelPro #2909 rearmain seal which I had to like force it in but it went in,could I have tore the rear main gasket because when I assembled the engine and fired it up on the stand it stills leaks when the engine is shut off and the oil pressure hand is dancing around 40psi -60psi,any HELP PLEASE.THANKS

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I installed a FelPro #2909 rearmain seal which I had to like force it in but it went in,could I have tore the rear main gasket because when I assembled the engine and fired it up on the stand it stills leaks when the engine is shut off and the oil pressure hand is dancing around 40psi -60psi,any HELP PLEASE.THANKS

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts