oil pressure fluctuation

Iowabbcbu

Amateur Racer
Feb 28, 2008
Ogden IA
i put my 355 back in and the oil pressure fluctuates idle 3 to 4 pounds while running 65lbs hot but as soon as you rev it and it gets out of the choppy cam it smooths out is it just becous of the cam? it a high press hv pump thanks

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
You have 65 Psig at IDLE?? If so, I wouldn't worry about a 3-4 Psig fluctuation.

Tommy

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
what kind of hose did you run from the block to the guage (assuming it's mechanical)? i've heard the plastic ones can give false readings. that being said...i have the plastic line in my car and have had no issue.

80montecarlo

Dragway Regular
Apr 24, 2008
cloverdale b.c. canada
grizwald said:
what kind of hose did you run from the block to the guage (assuming it's mechanical)? i've heard the plastic ones can give false readings. that being said...i have the plastic line in my car and have had no issue.

you dont get hounded at tech with a nylon pressure line?

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
Iowabbcbu said:
i put my 355 back in and the oil pressure fluctuates idle 3 to 4 pounds while running 65lbs hot but as soon as you rev it and it gets out of the choppy cam it smooths out is it just becous of the cam? it a high press hv pump thanks

If the fluctuations are identical with the fluctuation on the tach (if you have tach) then yes, and more than likely yes because of the cam.
What is the top pressure it levels off at or hits a bypass? when RPM's are higher?

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
80montecarlo said:
grizwald said:

nope. i didn't even know they looked at that for tech to be honest.

Weekend Racer
Oct 22, 2003
Southern ON Canada
grizwald said:
80montecarlo said:
grizwald said:

What track do you race at here? Plastic hose in the interior is definte no/no! :!: Hot oil sprayed on your jewels if it fractures or leaks won't be fun, and I'm sure you agree, would be real safety issue.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
1720 said:
What track do you race at here? Plastic hose in the interior is definte no/no! :!: Hot oil sprayed on your jewels if it fractures or leaks won't be fun, and I'm sure you agree, would be real safety issue.

same track(s) as you race at. i would certainly agree that it wouldn't be much fun getting hot oil sprayed anywhere, let alone my junk!! :lol: an engine fire wouldn't be all that great either. guess i'll change that when i can.

Malibu355

Pro Stocker
Feb 21, 2009
La Marque, Texas
grizwald said:
80montecarlo said:
grizwald said:

:shock: I didn't know that was frowned on either. I have been to 4 tracks so far and not one has asked about it.

Weekend Racer
Oct 22, 2003
Southern ON Canada
NHRA

1.10 OIL SYSTEM
Accu-sump, dry-sump tanks, oil filters, oil supply lines, etc., prohibited in driver compartment and outside of frame and/or steel body / fenders. Oil pressure gauge and line permitted in driver compartment. Metal or steel braided line mandatory, maximum 3/16-inch (4.76 mm) inside diameter. Power enhancing additives prohibited.

IHRA

These are basic guidelines. All vehicles must be capable of meeting the appropriate IHRA safety requirements for their performance level. For further information please refer to the IHRA rulebook.

1. All vehicles must have functioning seatbelts in good condition.
2. All vehicles must have a Radiator overflow can.
3. No plastic or glass fuel filters allowed.
4. 12” total rubber fuel line allowed.
5. No plastic oil lines allowed.
6. All automatic vehicles must have a working neutral safety switch.
7. All batteries must be securely mounted. For relocated batteries - see the 2008 IHRA
rulebook, General Regulations page 110.
8. All tires must be in good condition with all lug nuts in place. Remove hubcaps and
beauty rings from wheels.
9. Trunk and passenger compartment must be empty prior to racing.
10. Drivers must wear at least: full length pants, shoes, a sleeved shirt. (No shorts,
sandals, or tank tops).
11. All participants must have an approved helmet.
12. Drive shaft loop mandatory on all cars running 13.99 or quicker that are running slicks. Also required on all cars running 11.49 or quicker on street tires
13. Cars running faster than 11.49 must have an approved roll bar, SFI Legal belts and
jacket.
14. Cars running faster than 10.99 must have approved aftermarket axles and balancer.
15. Cars running faster than 9.99 must have an approved roll cage and Competition License.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!