Paint removal on plastic trim, HELP!

IndianaLarry

Amateur Racer
Jul 8, 2010
Crawfordsville,Indiana
Someone painted over the factory Carmine red plastic interior trim with gray.
They obviously didn't prepare the surface good and now it's flaking off.
It looks bad! We are using scotchbrite pads and some finer sandpaper.
It still doen't look very good.
My question is, is there some kind of stripper, that can be used without harming the plastic?
I'm guessing probably not.
Anyone have any other ideas of removing the old finish?

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
ok,if the paint isn't sticking all to well,try using thinner with the scotchbrite pad to soften it up.don't actually immerse the part in a tub of thinner,it may soften/smear the part.but do use it.stay away from sandpaper,you'll lose the texture of part.
alot of times i'll prep parts with a skuff pads and a product called prep paste.its almost liquid sandpaper if you will.it works for skuffing hard to reach areas,you work it into the surface with the pad and scrub it and scrub it some more with the paste.i use presta's prep paste.let us know how it goes!

tiedyemike8

Frequent Racer
Oct 28, 2009
Naperville, IL
There is an aerosol paint stripper that is designed to be used on plastic bumpers. It will strip the paint but not harm the plastic. You should be able to find it at most parts stores. I have used this on a variety of plastics with great results. To be safe, spray some on the inside of one of your parts and make sure it doesn't soften the plastic. Be sure to wear gloves.

NOT A TA

Frequent Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Delray Beach FL
I've used a media blaster lightly on painted plastic to remove the paint while preserving the grain with great success.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
NOT A TA said:
I've used a media blaster lightly on painted plastic to remove the paint while preserving the grain with great success.

Yep, did the same thing with all my interior peices. Ran everything through the blast cabnet (sp) lightly at 45psi using silica sand. It left the texture but removed any loose dye or oxidized plastic. Washed it all with soap and water and before spraying dye, lightly misted all the surfaces with plastic prep (SIM). The stuff lightly softens the surface and acts as a adhesion promotor. Worked great.

Steve

NOT A TA

Frequent Racer
Nov 30, 2009
Delray Beach FL
If you have a compressor you could get a bucket blaster at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool pretty cheap and do them that way outside. I do the same as Steve above but use Lacquer thinner to soften the plastic before spraying instead of adhesion promoter. As soon as the thinner "flash" dries I spray.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts