Pics needed - power steering

spacemanspif

Weekend Racer
Jun 12, 2011
Dela...Where?
Hi guys and girls,

Can anyone with a truck power steering pump post pics of their power steering lines? Just got my 2004 5.3 running and the PS pump is making terrible noise and the fluid smells burnt. Also when I turn the wheel left, the car goes right. I need to compare what I have with others that are done properly to see where I messed up. Also, how many people swapped the high pressure fittings and orifices out of their g-body pump into their truck pump?

TIA,

Mike

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
YOU USing a steering rack ?

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
spacemanspif said:
Also when I turn the wheel left, the car goes right.

:shock: That would probably make me want to quit driving...... :shock:

spacemanspif

Weekend Racer
Jun 12, 2011
Dela...Where?
lol luckily it was just driving on the driveway moving the car around. Car is not done enough to take it on the road and will not go on the road until this is sorted out.

Does no one have a pick of their LSx swapped car with truck PS pump that has a good shot of the PS lines??

B.G.

Amateur Racer
Sep 12, 2008
Seymour, Wisconsin
spacemanspif said:
Does no one have a pick of their LSx swapped car with truck PS pump that has a good shot of the PS lines??

Switch the hoses around, There's only 2 options-the right way, and the wrong way-You apparrently found the wrong way.
Go to the "father son project" thread, that contains pictures of everything and answers every snafuu you might encounter.

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
I didnt think a line in the wrong place would make the box turn opposite. the inside of the box is direct gear/gear contact no??

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
Is the pitman arm installed correctly? if its 180deg off, that could cause this reverse steering problem.......i think.

Can you put one on 180 deg off?????

B.G.

Amateur Racer
Sep 12, 2008
Seymour, Wisconsin
Bill in NC said:
Is the pitman arm installed correctly? if its 180deg off, that could cause this reverse steering problem.......i think.

He made it sound like all he did was switch the engine and power steering pump, If he installed a new steering box or moved a pitman arm-and didn't mention it.....He deserves a kick in the pills.

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
B.G. said:
Bill in NC said:

He made it sound like all he did was switch the engine and power steering pump, If he installed a new steering box or moved a pitman arm-and didn't mention it.....He deserves a kick in the pills.

the pitman arm cant be off. but if it was being off that much would mean you might only get 1 turn out of the steering wheel one way and youll get like 3 turns of the wheel the other.

wouldnt make it backwards.

I did order a steering box for a blazer one time and it did the same thing. turns out the box was for a mail truck built on the s-10 chassis (right hand drive)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts