Pics of exhaust header replacement on my Bu w/350 TH350

lurchsmalibu

Top Fueler
Jun 5, 2005
Lakeland, Florida

I finally had the passenger side header outlet flange rot out and had to start over. I went with the $126.XX Flowtech 11104 FLT headers and with limited ground clearance and limited ability to lift the engine I finally was able to install them without any major issues. I had to cut the ear off of the driver side transmission convertor cover mount only because I was maxed out on ground clearance (small floor jack) and couldn't get the engine to budge any further to the passenger side to allow more clearance.

I removed the fuel pump, drained some antifreeze (my temp gauge wire was run through the PS header flange) unbolted the engine clam mounts and removed the passenger side mount from the block, removed the starter and oil filter and raised the engine until the distributor was touching the firewall area.
Once all was reassembled and engine back in place, I worked on the transmission crossmember by cutting a section out to clear exhaust pipe and fully welding a 3/8" flat bar across the top of member and using 11GA plate to block off the member openings once it was cut. Then had to shorten the exhaust pipes about 12" since the new headers were longer.
After all was said and done, if the engine was out of the compartment more, there would have not been any delays or issues in application and they fit perfect. 8) I am running full size long oil filter and am running a full size stock short starter and have close clearance by at least 3/8-1/2" clearance. I can tell my starter gets heat soaked with slow around town driving, but it isn't anything drastic since the engine fires up quickly to start with. I plan to get a newer mini starter from whatever was listed on here (MR) that comes factory on newer GM vehicles when the current starter finally lets go and get an aluminum finned cover that slips over the oil filter to help with that heat source.

The only issue I had was the mounting flange gaskets that came in the box, they were for larger size pipes.....I had to purchase the 150B Mr Gasket header flange gasket. But it comes with new bolts and gaskets.
I am running a stock steel headed 350.....and the exhaust tone has drastically changed as well! IN A GOOD WAY!! at idle and WOT :lol:

This write-up is for anyone new or unsure of what is cheap, works, and is at most parts stores. \:D/
I'm sure there is other types/brands that are similar, but that's what I had to choose from at the time and had to be done that day since it is my daily driver work vehicle...... 8)

Last edited by a moderator:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts