Pinion angle affect on car launch?

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
I just reset my pinion angle on my wagon. It was pretty much outa wack. Drive shaft angle down and pinion angle up! Car launched kinda ok, though I think it could be better. Well my question is how much affect does the pinion angle have on the launch of the car and 60 ft. times? Here's my setup 550 hp big block, turbo350 trans with 5000 converter, ford 9in. with 411,s boxed lower arms and adjustable uppers 10x28 hoosiers, car weight is around 3400. I only have 6 decent passes and my best 60ft is 1.58 and et is 11.40, the last 3 passes the car has gone from 12.01 to 11.70 to 11.40. I've never played with suspension a whole lot and am trying to get the setup right, any pointers are appreciated!! Thanks Wagondude

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
It's pretty important.
I have to keep 4 1/2 degrees negative, but I have only one point with rubber bushings in the rear bars, the upper housing ears.
If your boxed lower arms have stock style bushings, you need to ditch them.

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
Goob said:
It's pretty important.
I have to keep 4 1/2 degrees negative, but I have only one point with rubber bushings in the rear bars, the upper housing ears.
If your boxed lower arms have stock style bushings, you need to ditch them.
By negative do you mean pinion nose up? I have iceman lowers and adjustable uppers. Solid bushings all around. the way I had it setup before the pinion on the rear was nose up and the driveshaft nose down. I think it was pretty much outa wack. I borrowed a angle finder and used the formula from baseline suspension and had to adjust the pinion angle on the rear down a bunch! Im wondering how much affect it will have on the launch and the 60 ft. Thanks for getting back to me, I figured someone on here must be into the suspension game some

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Negative angle is pinion pointing down in front.

My method of measuring differs slightly from what you will read, bit to each his own, I'm not going into that discussion again.

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
Goob said:

My method of measuring differs slightly from what you will read, bit to each his own, I'm not going into that discussion again.

lol. there are probably 100 different answers to that question depending on who you ask. i use this method

http://buickperformance.com/Pinion.htm

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
Slimbo thanks for the info! Just trying to get things setup right.Seems theres a few different ways to set pinion angle. I printed what you sent and will keep it in the garage. Hope to hook up with you and some of the other members that go to Island Dragway next season Thanks again Wagondude
slimbo5 said:
Goob said:

lol. there are probably 100 different answers to that question depending on who you ask. i use this method

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
slimbo5 said:
Goob said:

Uh, that AIN'T it....that guy is an idiot.

Baseline suspension was closer the last time I checked their stuff.

Goob

Top Fueler
Jun 6, 2003
Indianapolis
See photo below:

Bunker_Hill_High_Hard_2.sized.jpg

If that leaves any doubt, I dunno what to tell ya.
Here is a link to the LAST discussion I will ever have about this with IDIOTS that don't know the difference between driveline angle and pinion angle.
Okay, all I could find was where someone copy & pasted the deal to another web site. You'll have to sort through the b.s.
There may be an old topic about it left on here somewhere.
http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=577

slimbo

May 21, 2007
www.yellowbullet.com
Goob im not trying to argue with you.im just tryin to help this guy out.pinion angle is the relationship beetween the pinion and the rear of the trans, is it not? if the trans is 0 degrees then the rear needs to be down 2-4. if the trans is pointed up 2 degrees then the rear needs to be at -4 to -6 degrees. if the trans is pointed down 2 degress then the rear needs to be at -2 to 0 degrees. the end result in all those scenarios is under power they cancel each other out and end up at the same angle. if you want to post pics no problem. heres my 3875 pound street car going 1.42 using the above method.

pinkslarge.jpg

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
Ok guys now lets calm down All the information is good. Thats the purpose of these sites. Years ago it was just Lakewood slapper bars and a mono leaf spring on my 67 Camaro, and it went 11.20's to 11.50's . Didn't have web sites to go to. These sites are a wealth of information!! Thanks alot for the help,will give it a shot at the track next week and let you know how I make out Thanks again Wagondude!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts