Pinion angle help.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
As some know Ive had recent issue with lack of traction. I measured my pinion angle today I have -3deg total. -2 deg on the pinion and -1 deg on the drive shaft. Has south side bars, but still has stock rubber bushings in the upper housing of the rear end (12 blt). Is -3 deg enough or should I invest in some adjustable uppers and get it to about -4 or -5 deg? Or is this a waste of time for curing my spinning issue?

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
Having at least one set of adjustable control arms is worth the investment. I have double adjustable lowers and solid uppers with poly bushings with my 12 bolt. I cant remember exactly what mine was last time I measured it, its only been a month or so ago... We were trying to get my brothers 68 camaro lined out and I checked mine for reference. It was around 4 or 5 negative at the pinion I think? How are you launching the car? Loading the converter or flashing it? With 3.73's you car should be able to dead hook I would think. Mine has 56's and it can be a real pita to hook when the track isn't the best...

purple barney

Frequent Racer
Mar 29, 2009
Raleigh NC
man i feel your pain as i had just worked through my traction issues.... its hard to get good advice every suspension company will try to sell you parts. what tires do you have on the car? getting the rear of my car lower and good shocks helped me alot.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
TNTS79 said:
Having at least one set of adjustable control arms is worth the investment. I have double adjustable lowers and solid uppers with poly bushings with my 12 bolt. I cant remember exactly what mine was last time I measured it, its only been a month or so ago... We were trying to get my brothers 68 camaro lined out and I checked mine for reference. It was around 4 or 5 negative at the pinion I think? How are you launching the car? Loading the converter or flashing it? With 3.73's you car should be able to dead hook I would think. Mine has 56's and it can be a real pita to hook when the track isn't the best...
Well this issue has just popped up. I was getting solid 1.60's now is spinning. Just looking into things that might help. Also the track prep is zilch. But there's guys hooking up with peg legs on the same track #-o . I have never put it against the converter the most i have launched is about 1500 +/-. I usually bring it just off idle and nail it. Now that i'm spraying it, its even worse. I'm going back tomorrow I'm gonna lower the tires air pressure to about 13 or 14 and lower the air bag psi to about 8 and see how that does. Maybe do less of a burnout. Ive read a D/R doesn't need a huge burn out that it can get greasy and make it worse. ALSO can you set pinion angle with just adjustable lowers?

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
purple barney said:
man i feel your pain as i had just worked through my traction issues.... its hard to get good advice every suspension company will try to sell you parts. what tires do you have on the car? getting the rear of my car lower and good shocks helped me alot.
I know what you mean. Many things on forums you have to take with a grain of salt. But there's some great advice to be had if you can sort threw the bad. Car has 275 60 MT D/R's. It has CE 3 way adjustable's. I have them set to where its easy to push down but takes its time coming back up. That made sense to me I'm probably wrong as usual :-k

purple barney

Frequent Racer
Mar 29, 2009
Raleigh NC
the qa1's i got helped alot. nos is a different story, and tire pressure will help some i had one of the track officals look at the back end of my car when it was taking off. i didnt have enough tire pressure and it was paddling. i thought it was wheel hopping but i went back to 20 psi no more traction issues i run et streets. you have got to look at the pattern the tire is leaving while taking off. if the tire is rolling up then you will have the same problem. what angles are your upper control arms point? same for the lower control arms.

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Hitman said:
Put new tires on it
Ive thought about the tires. But they only have about 35 passes on them and still have good tread. Still seem sticky. Havent been heat cycled that much.

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
Ed Cannon said:
TNTS79 said:
Well this issue has just popped up. I was getting solid 1.60's now is spinning. Just looking into things that might help. Also the track prep is zilch. But there's guys hooking up with peg legs on the same track #-o . I have never put it against the converter the most i have launched is about 1500 +/-. I usually bring it just off idle and nail it. Now that i'm spraying it, its even worse. I'm going back tomorrow I'm gonna lower the tires air pressure to about 13 or 14 and lower the air bag psi to about 8 and see how that does. Maybe do less of a burnout. Ive read a D/R doesn't need a huge burn out that it can get greasy and make it worse. ALSO can you set pinion angle with just adjustable lowers?

I typically bring mine up to about 1000 or 1100, just clean up the idle in the lights and "flash" the converter. I let my brother make a pass in it and he is more of the converter loader, he put it up about 1500 against the brakes and went 1.50 in the 60 and I typically go 1.51-1.53. Most likely because when I flash the converter it hits the tires a bit harder and gets just a little bit of tirespin. As for track prep I run mine on friday fun nights and track prep is always minimal at best. The crew tries to keep the track sticky but with all the radial tires peeling up the rubber that gets laid down its hard to get anything to hook! As for the guy running the peg leg and hooking, I have seen some cars do the same thing. Car makes just enough power not overpower the tires and the chassis flex so much they eat up a lot of the initial hit. As for adjusting pinion angle, if you made your lower control arms longer that would give you more negative pinion angle. If you had shorter upper control arms that would do the same thing, basically just rotating the rear end housing downward... Just have to make sure you dont get any binding issues by trying to make all your adjustment with one set of arms... Nice to have both upper and lower adjustables. I got my lowers from DM Products on ebay, not a site sponsor but they do make some good stuff($65). If you are putting the spray to it I would strongly suggest installing and anti-rotation, that will make the car much more predictable coming out of the hole and it really does do the trick for g-bodies. I had the 6 point bar installed in mine and it helped but the anti-rotation did more than the cage. You can get by with the bag but the bar is the solution to the problem. I got mine from ART its the professional series. Very nice piece by the way.
https://www.appliedracing.net/product_info.php?cPath=265&products_id=238&osCsid=7459e92794b433d82cabd840b5b954ad
That and a 1.5" od .100 wall tube between the frame rails and some TNT control arm braces and mine has made a big improvement over last year, thanks in part to the AFR's as well...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!