Pinion bearing issue after fresh rebuild?

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
I just had my 7.5 rear end rebuilt by a local well-known recommended mechanic. I gave him a Ratech rebuild kit along with moser axles, a posi differential, and a used 3.73 R&P from a Camaro. The guy had it rebuilt in a day with no issues and I drove the car for about a day before it developed a whirring noise. I thought it was the used ring and pinion but the noise got progressively louder for the next 2 days to the point where you couldnt even hear the radio over it. Never making noise on deceleration.

I dropped the car off with him this time with a new ring and pinion set from Motive Engineering for peace of mind. His guess was the shims loosened up and he said he felt too much backlash. He called me today after disassembly to say that one of the pinion bearings were the source of the noise, and that it is all chewed up. He says its possible the bearing was cheap, or obviously that a piece of debri ruined it. Both of these options seem a little far-fetched to me although I dont have any experience with rear-ends. Could a bearing be so cheap that it ruins in under 100 miles of driving?!

I also understand there are 2 head/pinion bearing sizes offered in the 7.5 and I ordered the larger one as directed by the guy who sold me camaro ring and pinion. I'm curious to hear opinions from those who have some rear-end knowledge...because I thought Ratech used good quality bearings.

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
If you put in a new crush sleeve which I would imagine came with the kit... Sometimes you have to torque the pinion nut down to over the called for spec to get it to actually deform a bit. I typically go to about 300 ft. lbs. then back it off and retorque it to spec. I have done 7.5's where you go to the 200 or 250 it calls for and you still have play in the pinion. I would ask you rearend guy what he is torquing the pinion too and see where that leads ya...

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
Thanks for the info, I will pass that by him. He said he ordered new bearings and he's going to put on the new R&P as well.

What is your opinion on "cheap bearings" or any bearing failing in under 200 miles?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts