Pinion Gear Removal

richamer1

Frequent Racer
Oct 17, 2004
New Carlisle, Oh
7.5 I am upgrading my rear to a 3.73 Posi I have everything apart got the pinion gear nut off. Now how do I get old pinion gear out I wanted to ask before I started to pound on it. The U-joint Yoke is still on the pinion gear shaft. Thanks

GreenDragginBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jul 10, 2003
N.E. Ohio
Gear Puller....

454mali

Dragway Regular
Jan 26, 2006
Cleveland OH
You can use a puller on the yoke but for the gear just gently tap on it its only a very slight press fit.

A

Anonymous

If I'm tapping on anything with threads, I always put the nut back on flush with the end of the shaft, then tap on the nut and shaft. That way you won't hurt the threads.

CutlassRacer

MalibuRacing Junkie
Dec 18, 2004
Gainesville, FL
www.facebook.com
When I am doing gear I have a nut that I use for each pinion that I thread almost all the way on, then I use a dead blow hammer to knock the pinion out. Most come out pretty easily, some of them are really stuck on there.

Do you know how to put the new ones back in? Its not hard, but it does take some special tools to do it right.

A

Anonymous

budss396 said:
use a brass punch, Do not re install the nut and hit the gear directly. that is a quick way to run a set of gears.

BUD

Brass is good advice, but I have no clue what you are talking about ruining gears because of putting the nut on the shaft before tapping on the shaft.

Been doing that for years, not just with a pinion shaft, but with any threaded shaft. As a Tool and Die Machinist, I do it to save the threads. But, whatever.

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
Most pinions have an "alignment dimple" on both ends,{threaded end tooth end}
from the manufacturing process. I use a sharpened brass punch, this way
you wont slip off and smash your hand with the hammer! curse_sign.gif curse_sign.gif

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts