pinion seal

woody31

Frequent Racer
hi fellas need some advice,,,,i have a 7.5 inch( i know,,need to up grade),,but right now it is all i got and it seems to be leaking from the front of the diff,,how hard is it to change the pinion seal with the rear end in the car?? How tight do you get the pinion nut?? i have never done this before,,and dont have the money to send it to a shop,,i do have a ft lb,,torque wrench and a inch lb as well....thanks...

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Its easy. Use jack stands please. Remove the drive shaft. Mark the pinion nut and the end of the pinion. Remove the nut (it will be tight). Tap off the yoke. Pull the seal. clean everything up good and inspect. Install new seal, this takes a little finesse sometimes. Most important tighten your pinion nut up so your marks line back up an go just a tick past the mark. If you hammer the nut down tight it will most likely kill the pinion bearings. Ive did it this way for years at the shop.

woody31

Frequent Racer
thanks for the reply,,so it is do able in the drive way ,,yes?? how,,,what do i mark the nut and shaft with,,,i have a paint stick i use to whiten the letters on my slicks,,will that work,,again thanks for your time and replies,,,

Ed Cannon

Pro Stocker
Jul 17, 2009
Johnson City Tn
Driveway is fine. Just use a good paint mark that doesnt wipe off when you touch it.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I changed mine last year and at first I tightened it down & discovered it wasn't supposed to be tightened. I backed it off until I had friction-free rotation and as little play as possible... should I shoot for a little extra play to account for heat expansion? I haven't driven the car, and the rear was out when I did the pinion (and axle) seals last year.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Doober, I'm afraid you need to open up the rear, replace the crush sleeve & reset your ring & pinion lash. You almost definitely changed it.

Tommy

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Doober said:

Yeah, I know, but I'd rather be the bearer of bad news than to see a post from you saying your rear was wiped out...

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts