Plugs + Gap you all are running with MSD?

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
OK so I have the Accel U groove (576S) Shorty plugs running with a set of MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm wires. I got it all wired up with my new Digital 6 AL. The car seems to have a miss on the left bank (2-8) now. I have my gaps set to .50 but I am starting to think that is a bit far maybe? I think this because it only seems to do it when i am getting on it. Seems ok at idle and during acceleration.

Are the plugs good enough to run with this setup? Is the gap to far? If the plugs arent good enough does anyone else make a short style plug i can use cause these just clear my headers.

Thanks for any input yall have to offer!

1980PontiacWagon

Frequent Racer
Feb 5, 2011
Northern Virginia
I think you mean a .05 gap. I just want to clarify. But I think your gap is too big. I run what the factory recommends, which is .035.

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
1980PontiacWagon said:
I think you mean a .05 gap. I just want to clarify. But I think your gap is too big. I run what the factory recommends, which is .035.

HA you are correct i ment .05. I know the MSD instructions said ( i think) you could run from .045-.060 so i went with .05. I guess i will take them out and take them down a bit
thanks for the reply

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
I have the same wires, 6al box and running .035 gap with ac delco plugs

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
yeah something isnt right for sure. stumbles around 1200 rpm to 3k but it seems the higher you go the better it gets (doesnt clear up but it gets better) even after bringing the plugs down to .035.

will say the one thing i didnt do that MSD recommends is to replace the cap and rotor and i probably should have. Kind of at a loss as to what direction to go now. I made the wires so i guess i will start with checking each one to make sure they are right.

Any ideas sling them my way. Thanks for the input so far

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
try taking the pill out, even check the boots. I noticed with mine with the big msd boots it gets close to the headers and almost touches on a couple. Fire it up at night to see if you see any sparks.

80Bu355

Weekend Racer
Oct 30, 2003
Greenville,SC
bowtie81 said:
try taking the pill out, even check the boots. I noticed with mine with the big msd boots it gets close to the headers and almost touches on a couple. Fire it up at night to see if you see any sparks.

by Pill you are talking about the MSD I assume?

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
80Bu355 said:
bowtie81 said:

by Pill you are talking about the MSD I assume?
Ya, sorry I shoulda stated that

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
Do you happen to have anything spliced into the power wire for the msd or going to the dizzy?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts