Poly trans mount vs solid mount

red barn

Frequent Racer
Mar 5, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I have always ran a poly trans mount in my cars. My fathers new car has a solid trans mount. My initial thought was to add a poly mount because of chassis flex. The car is going to be a high 12 second car, has a 8 point roll bar with a superstock style backhalf and ladder bars. I am wondering if he is wasting his money buying a new crossmember and transmission mount or am I saving him the headache of cracking the trans case down the road.

Your thoughts?

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
I've always heard never to run a solid trans mount with solid motor mounts. You could run one with rubber/poly motor mounts though. Something will probably crack if it is all solid, but people will chime in and disagree i'm sure.

80Grand_LeMans

Dragway Regular
Jun 4, 2008
Peabody MA
I've seen mostly to never use solid trans mounts. There is a big thread about this somewhere.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Solid transmission mounts should be banned. The trans case is not designed to be a stressed member & it can & will break. It's even more likely with rubber/poly engine mounts.

Tommy

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
if they break sh!# all the time,what is the designed use of this "wonderfull product?"i couldn't help but wonder after all these years hearing nothing but baddddddddd things about them.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
melloelky said:
if they break sh!# all the time,what is the designed use of this "wonderfull product?"i couldn't help but wonder after all these years hearing nothing but baddddddddd things about them.

I don't know, but look at all the thousands of BS "performance" products that are on the market that have little-to-no provable benefit. Businesses sell things to make money, not friends.

Tommy

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
solid mounted motors use solid mounted trannys
rubber mounted motors use rubber mounted trannys(or poly)

If the motor dont move neither will the trans....Its pretty common sensical
If your busting transmission mounts you need to see why your engine is moving and or frame

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Excelerater said:
solid mounted motors use solid mounted trannys
rubber mounted motors use rubber mounted trannys(or poly)

If the motor dont move neither will the trans....Its pretty common sensical
If your busting transmission mounts you need to see why your engine is moving and or frame

With all due respect, you NEVER use solid transmission mounts. Period. The trans case is not designed to be a stressed member. It will break. It's not a matter of "if" but "when". Especially with solid engine mounts because now you've triangulated the trans mount with the engine mounts & this increases the stress load a LOT. The slightest frame flex is transferred directly to the transmission instead of being absorbed by the rubber/poly in the trans mount.

Tommy

HP JUNKEY

Dragway Regular
Oct 30, 2008
Buffalo.NY
With all that being said,, Would it be safe to run a POLY Trans. mount AND POLY motor mounts? Just curious.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts