Power steering line

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
With a stock 4.8/5.3/6.0 truck power steering pump, what kind of high pressure line did you guys use? With the stock one thread into the back of the newer pump or did you have to get one custom made?

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Are you using the stock 81' Malibu box, or a later model quick ratio one from another G-body?

Kevin Williams

Amateur Racer
Aug 12, 2003
Autryville,NC
www.angelfire.com
I used the stock Monte Carlo line that came with my car. I had to swap the fitting in the back of the truck ps pump, with the fitting that was in my cars ps pump. Both lines worked just had to slightly bend the pressure line. I dont think it maters what pump you use. If you have any questions or pics let me know.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
79loserbluebu said:
I'd like to know the answer to this as well. Are you using the stock 81' Malibu box, or a later model quick ratio one from another G-body?
I've got the stock box that came on the car right now. That's what I planed on using anyways. I bought a brand new high pressure line from advance auto and the pump side fitting threaded in fine. If you don't mind me asking why did you have to change yours out? Did the g-body fitting not seal correctly or did it not thread in right?

Kevin Williams

Amateur Racer
Aug 12, 2003
Autryville,NC
www.angelfire.com
LT1_Malibu said:
79loserbluebu said:
I've got the stock box that came on the car right now. That's what I planed on using anyways. I bought a brand new high pressure line from advance auto and the pump side fitting threaded in fine. If you don't mind me asking why did you have to change yours out? Did the g-body fitting not seal correctly or did it not thread in right?

I think it depends on the year of the Ps pump. Also, while I was gathering reaserch to do my swap, a few people on this fourm, and LS1tech.com said it had to be done. When I hooked up my pump I just changed the fitting and didn't compare it with the other. So I can't 100% say u have to.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
Kevin Williams said:
LT1_Malibu said:
79loserbluebu said:

I think it depends on the year of the Ps pump. Also, while I was gathering reaserch to do my swap, a few people on this fourm, and LS1tech.com said it had to be done. When I hooked up my pump I just changed the fitting and didn't compare it with the other. So I can't 100% say u have to.

I guess I'll find out soon enough! dancin_banana.gif

If it does have to be swapped out, its a fairly simple fix I guess.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Same here! Glad to hear that the stock lines will work with a little bending. Using enough braided nylon hose as it is, hate to over-do it.

BoostedbuLQ9

Amateur Racer
Dec 16, 2008
Ocean County, NJ
If you use the Factory LS power steering line it will thread into a new power steering box. I used the Escalade Power steering line on my corvette access package.

Here is a picture

IMG_0934.jpg

006-32.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

Ralph

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Cool thanks for the pics and info. Will braided nylon -6AN be alright for the pressure side of the system? I'd like to make it just the way I want inside the car without a big loop up top.

BoostedbuLQ9

Amateur Racer
Dec 16, 2008
Ocean County, NJ
79loserbluebu said:
Cool thanks for the pics and info. Will braided nylon -6AN be alright for the pressure side of the system? I'd like to make it just the way I want inside the car without a big loop up top.

I wanted to do mine in braid but the fitting and elbow wouldn't clear the pulley so i didn't know what to do until i tried the factory truck line and the bend was pretty correct and worked.

Ralph

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!