Professional Products CrossWind Vortec Intake Manifolds??

87Aero

Weekend Racer
May 1, 2007
Central Texas
I picked up a 97 Vortec 350 from a truck with 906's for $450 to put in my white SS roller body. I did a search on summit for intakes, since the Vortec is new to me. I found this manifold for a great price (big help in the budget for my car).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-52028/

Has anyone ever heard for these or tried one of these manifolds?

I came up with another question as well. I've read that these 906 Vortec heads are really good, how do they stack up to the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads? I have both now, but if the Vortecs are close, I could sell the Edelbrocks for some cash to further the project.

Scott

TNTS79

Dragway Regular
Jan 6, 2006
Illiniois
I have a non vortec crosswind on my 406 seems to work fine to me, dont know what kind of increases I would see by going with an edelbrock airgap... Design, port length/shape seem very similar to me?? What kind of rpms/cam are you looking to run?? Lower rpms 5500 or so would be better on the vortecs, higher rpm like 6500+ the edelbrocks would be better suited for that...

87Aero

Weekend Racer
May 1, 2007
Central Texas
I guess I'm not going to wind it tighter that 6000. It's just going to be carbed for a short time, then I'm putting the TPI setup on it. I was just wondering about the over all quality of the intake, since it's just for a year or so, and not muck use at that.

Are all holes in the righ place, and mating surfaces correct? Is the aluminum softer than normal?

Thanks,
Scott.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
If you're going back to the TPI intake, probably wouldn't hurt to go to a slightly larger set of runners... I'm pretty sure they weren't meant to run past 4,500 or so. You'll also need a Vortec-specific TPI intake that runs $400+ new :shock: Unless you have a set of Vortecs with both bolt patterns, or have your current ones drilled for the intake. I'd make sure they're port matched as well.

87Aero

Weekend Racer
May 1, 2007
Central Texas
Doober,

I thought about getting one of the Vortec TPI intakes, but the price is more than I want to pay. The money I'd spend on that intake alone would buy my head gaskets and rocker studs and guide plates I need for my aluminum heads. When I do the TPI swap, I'm going to use my Edelbrock RPM heads, and run a modified 89 vette bin. I've got a set of larger runners too. I can't remember who made them, but they don't look like the regular stock tubes, they are all one piece cast. I'm just trying to go cheap in this setup for now to get the bugs worked out of everything before I compound any existing problems. I have to get the 700R in and make sure it's shifting correctly, and do all the wiring. It's going to need paint, front end work and a ton of other stuff. I want to be able to drive it a little too. When I start the swap, I think in my case it would be better to know any problems I come across are new and due to something in the swap.

This is the real reason I'm being cheap. lame_sign.gif :lol:

Thanks for the info. If I did find a Vortec TPI intake in good shape, for a reasonable price, I may buy it.

I just wish I had known about the LSX swap stuff before I started to accumulate the parts. I started before the LSx stuff was on the market. :(

I guess that just means I'll have to make that a swap project for my 78 T/A.........when I retire! curse_sign.gif

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts