QA1 front coil over conversion questions

skin151

Daily Driver
Oct 12, 2008
Rockford Illinois
I am considering trying the QA1 front coil over set up on my 78 malibu with the stock control arms reinforced around the bottom shock mount, ( not really keen on all of the front end weight sitting on the lower control arm shock tabs ) Has anyone on here used this set up? is the installation possible without tons of fabrication? how did they perform? and finally is there anything you would have done diffrently that you know now but didnt know then?

Thanks

montibu

Amateur Racer
Mar 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i just put my qa1s in my 80 Malibu, and i just put them on the control arm, i didn't fab anything up to reinforce it. i do see any need to.

sewer rat

Daily Driver
Apr 1, 2009
St. Louis, Missouri
Those QA1 front coil-over kits look really neat but I've heard mixed reactions about them, especially where drag racing is concerned. I've heard that its' difficult to scale the car with them. In drag racing at least, you want a tall coil spring to store lots of energy. These kits use a very short coil spring and they don't store as much energy so you can throw that front end up in the air and get the weight transfer on the back wheels. They might work well on an over-tired car with a 14 X 32 or bigger slick on back, but I think a small tire car might be better off with standard front shocks and coils.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
montibu said:
i just put my qa1s in my 80 Malibu, and i just put them on the control arm, i didn't fab anything up to reinforce it. i do see any need to.

I hate to say it, but just wait until your front end collapses...

I've seen too many of them do it (not just th QA1's, either) to even consider putting coilovers on a stock lower A-arm.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts