Questions about vortec 350

BIGDOGG

Amateur Racer
Nov 26, 2008
gobles mi
Just wondering why the vortec is such a good motor. Are the internals better are they 4 bolt blocks, forged parts. Is the motor a full roller anything would help thanks.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
They do have a Roller Cam as well but, as said above the Heads are where the HP/TQ comes from, Kidney shaped Chamber & raised Intake Runners.

doolin

Daily Driver
Sep 9, 2011
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Here is what I found having 2 engines, 1 from a 1/2 ton and 1 from a 3/4 ton:
3/4 & 1 ton trucks got a 4-bolt block with the good PM rods, the 1/2 tons got a 2-Bolt block, the connecting rods in the 1/2 ton and 3/4-1 ton engines I had were very different, I suspect the the HD truck rods were from the LS1 but can't confirm because the part-no.'s in the catalog are the same no matter the weight of the truck. I can only tell you what I saw. All blocks were roller camshaft, no roller rockers. The quality of the crankshaft is unknown to me from a production point of view.
There is tons of info about the heads on the interwebs, the older articles tell of all kinds of machining to accept a high lift camshaft, but this issue has been addressed (within reason) with the use of the newer LS "Beehive" valve springs. The Vortec heads also use a different bolt pattern regarding the intake manifold, 8 tiny bolts vs. 12 larger ones. There are 2 casting no.'s both are fine from a street point of view, the 906's had hardened exhaust seats the allegedly flow less at high RPM, the 062's came on 1/2 tons are the "better" of the two.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Also another note, engine lift points are different from older heads, they aren't lifted by the intake bolts anymore, rather brackets on the block.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!