Quick Performance 9 inch Rear with Disc Emergency brake opt.

A

Anonymous

I am in the process of installing a Q P 9 inch under my 78 Malibu.
Today I got the rear bolted in but I have some concerns with the Disc Brake setup.
When my cars weight is sprung from the rear , at its normal height
( Normal rest with your tires on ) The emergency brake part of the caliber is about a inch away from the frame of the car. That said if my car was 1 inch lower the hardware for the emergency brake would be smashed into the frame. On the drivers side the caliber is about 2 o'clock. I removed the braket and tried alternate posistions but it looks like i would need to fab new brakets or cut my frame (thats not happening.
I am not bashing QP , I thought I was Close To Finished.

Thanks For any Feedback You May Have...

Fred O:)

jitteryguy

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2009
Afganistan
are your calipers to the front or rear, after read'n this last night I got to wonder'n bout mine . I just install'd a caliper on it and sure enough it hit's the frame ! it look's like I can move the caliper to rear side of the axle and get the clearence I'll need .

also are you use'n the park brake ? we wont so if need be I can shave some off of that part as well .

A

Anonymous

Calibers are for the rear and this is the upgrade with the emergency brake option also rear was ordered as stock width. The brakets they provide for the caliber are sitting at about 1:30 on the drivers side. I tried moving to different positions with the mounting holes provided on the brackets and there is no better option. The only way I can see it can work is if the caliber is mounted at 02:45 position. This would allow the emergency brake hardware to work and allow the rear to articulate when turning.
I will call Monday. Welding brakets on a housing thats installed in a chassie is not a option and I have to much $ invested to go backwords.
On Line instuctions @ QP site dont say anything on this and the car is stock ride height.

Regards Fred

jitteryguy

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2009
Afganistan
after get'n the caliper reposition'd to clear the frame I discover'd my shock's wont bolt in this configureation !!!!
gonna make new shock braket's I reckon !

A

Anonymous

Why dont we both call QP tommorow and ask them for there solution as they sell lots of these rears. If I just paid good money for a product thats designed to bolt into my car, they need to step up to the batting plate. I think a modified plate would fix this issue.
Fred

abigda

Frequent Racer
May 19, 2007
Springfield, MA
u guys ever figure out the caliper/ e-brake issue on your quick performance 9"? I'm looking into buying one and have no choice but to run an e-brake up here in Mass

A

Anonymous

Hi abigda,

Yes I did get the e-brake happy.
I redrilled the brackets to the calipers and is now sitting at 02:30 position as veiwed on the drivers side. I used the cable kit and brake line kit that QP said to use. I would not add the Proportioning Valve as I run it wide open to the back and used the factory peice. I also changed the master cylinder to a larger bore.
My stock drive shaft worked with the addition of a new yoke that is 1" longer for a 1330 UJ as my rear came with a yoke for a 1310 UJ.
I am happy with the setup after I Muther F ed it for a month, as it helped traction and is quiet.
If I did it again I would of done the drum brakes....
Fred

Iowabbcbu

Amateur Racer
Feb 28, 2008
Ogden IA
Hey guys if ya have anymore problems by all means call Doug (owner) I worked for him back in the day and he would be more than willing to make it right

later
Tom

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!