race car wiring...

wannabe

Frequent Racer
Aug 31, 2009
this subject has been beat to death but I am somewhat hillbilly simple and all I want is the simplest diagram of how to run the positive from the battery in the trunk to the solenoid and set up some sort of positive/ground terminals to run wires to. also the correct gauge of wire for fans, fuel pumps, water pumps, etc. If possibe add pics or a drawn diagram. I know you need a fuse link in there somewhere. There is no need to spend 300/500 on one of the commercial wiring sets just to wire a race car, at least that is my thinking. ...wannabe

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
Jegs makes a terminal block pt no 555-10521 that bolts to your firewall or wherever you want. I used it on the firewall and you can run you're pos cable there and it provides a 12 volt access to wire whatever you want. I'm not a wiring genius by any means so I bought a book by HP books called CUSTOM AUTO WIRING AND ELECTRICAL. I bought it used off amazon .com for like $8or $9. The book will help you with wiring alot. They even wire a prostreet car and a race car in the book and will get into wiring basics. Plus look at you're local marine supply for ideas, I found a small fuseblock for accessories that you can wire by simply 2 wires and gives you 6 fuseable access spots. Fuel pump, fan, water pump etc. Hope this helps Tom

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
I'm not going to go in depth on this, the post would be nine pages long. If you do this, learn how to wire a relay. I see too many cars with fans, fuel pumps, etc. wired direct with no relays. This is a recipe for disaster. With that said, if you have any electrical skills it's not too bad for basic accessories. When you get into nitrous and boost controllers,etc. it creates a more complicated situation. Use good switches, the proper size wire, relays, and fuses and you should be good.

wannabe

Frequent Racer
Aug 31, 2009
sounds good, both suggestions, it's obvious I need all the help I can get. I will look for the book and for sure use the relays. thanks...wannabe

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
Definitely go with the relays. Use 1 for each component, pumps fan, etc. Look on this site in the faq section and theres info in there on wiring relays. I know electrical can sometimes be intimidating but take your time and don't be afraid to ask questions. Do yourself a favor and get the book I had mentioned earlier, it's in the Amazon books section. They have some good automotive books and you can buy them used. I've bought some on big blocks, turbo trans's and wiring. Kinda like a little automotive Library :lol:

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!