REALLY stiff chassis without a cage....possible?

bfurches

Daily Driver
Oct 20, 2011
Western, MA
Ok guys...here is the deal...

The current combo I am putting together should be pretty quick, but I do NOT want to install a cage if I can help it. This car will see way more street time then track. Not to mention, in the summer time when I am using the car, I don't want wifey and my son to go climbing through a jungle gym.

With that being said, is it possible to stiffen up these cars (primarily the body flex) without a cage? I have seen a couple threads on various forums of g-bodies making decent power without a cage cracking windshields or tweaking t-top channels and etc on the launch? Just going over typical road bumps these cars seem to flex a ton.

Now as far as chassis...I am boxing it in, adding the TNT braces, and using the solid aluminum body mounts, and a good weld-in anti-roll bar. I think this will help quite a bit, but I am still worried about the body...

I was thinking to maybe add a bar behind the dash, one behind the rear seat low on the hump, and maybe even fab up some type of hidden rocker bar?

Am I being crazy here and going over the top? Will the chassis mods alone stiffen the car up enough so I don't have to worry about twisting to much?

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
i think your on the rite track with all those chassis mods it sounds good so far.the guys on here have it figured out.i don't think you need the dash bar you mentioned but have you seen those braces that go behind the rear seats between the trunk?i think they came in gn's or something like that.check with g body parts .com at the top of the page i thought they had them at one time.am i correct to think if your putting in a roll bar you already have boxed control arms and the like?would you run those tubular control arm braces that tie the upper and lower rear control arms together in a triangulation fashion?some folks on here have made rear cross members too to assist the single sided original rear cross member?have you checked out the F41 and aftermarket bracing diagrams located in the suspension forum at the top of the page?its worth a look.there's also some braces to be had in the front as well.SC&C makes an excellent Heavy Duty Chassis Brace for the front, I'm sure some others will chime in to lend a hand.

bfurches

Daily Driver
Oct 20, 2011
Western, MA
Thanks for the info!

The car is an 86 442, so fortunately it already has the f41 bracing.
Yes I plan on running tubular upper and lowers (double adjustable) probably the Wolfe Racing stuff...

I had originally purchased the Hotchkis stuff when the car was more "comfort" oriented, but I just sold it all off on TurboBuick over the weekend to finance some of the new parts!

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
You can make your own braces to tie the ends of the front and rear frame together. You can also use tubing, with flattened ends, to make your own X-brace behind the rear seat.

mebe007

Amateur Racer
Oct 16, 2009
Eastern Virginia
even if your car is f41 it would not have had the GP bar. Get one of those and it will completely triangulate the front. Check kKirbin performance, they sell new beefier rear seat braces than the factory offered.

you could always do like this guy

regalparts015.jpg

regalparts009.jpg

regalparts008.jpg

regalparts007.jpg

regalparts017.jpg

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
looks like that guy moved his gas tank for that mod also.looks good none the less :)

First, check my F41 post at the top of this section. You have ALL of them?

Also keep in mind a weld-in or any type of anti roll bar does nothing to stiffen the chassis.

The body is the stronger member of the body/frame combo. If you really want to get deep, go over and make all the factory welds full not stitched.

I ran a 1/2 solid bar inside the A-pillar on a 78 TA to help stiffen it up. It was a t-top car.

Small gussets here and there will really help.

If there is no budget , fill voids in the body and/or frame with structural foam , not the stuff you get from Home Depot.

Bench seat ads strength.

Look at Metric X-Y-G frame by Reliable Welding for ideas.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!