Rear anti rollbar question

johnnycarlo

Frequent Racer
Apr 6, 2007
RIMBEY AB. CANADA
I know the whole theory behind the antiroll bar and I'm going to build my own because I don't want to pay to have one shipped all the way up here and I'm cheap LOL. I have a Dodge 8.75 diff that I built to use the stock geometry 4 link set up.I want to put a backbrace on it.I am wondering why not mount the bar and bearings to the back of the diff and run the links up the frame.I know it will add to the unsprug weight, but weight on the rear diff is probably a good thing isn't it? Plus it would only be about 20 pounds anyway. There isn't much room with a fuel tank tail pipes and shocks and suspension links in the way.It should work exactly the same, just an upside down version.Am I way out in left field? Has this been tried before? I'm thinking of using a pillow block type bearing on the ends of the bar so it won't bind.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
It'll work fine. Some shops do their bars below/behind the housing and run links up to the frame, and its the same principle that the bolt on ARB's operate on. Pillow blocks will work fine. Some of the bigger pro mod ARB's use pillow blocks with delrin inserts.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Actually, if you look at the rear bar on the S-10 Blazers (and Xtreme pickups, possibly others), you'll see they're mounted that way. The bar pivots inside two brackets bolted to the axle tubes, and the ends are connected to brackets on the frame. Think of the sway bar as a spring trying to keep the axle in a neutral position (level with the car). Whether it's this way, or the way the stock G-Body bar is it does the same thing. The sway bars are stiff enough (34mm - 1.33" F-Body front sway bar, stock G-Body rear) that I can jack up one rear corner of the car to work on it and the other tire will want to come off the ground :shock: That's what a sway bar does.

C LOWERY

Frequent Racer
Nov 2, 2004
Bates City, MO
I built my own ARB. Here are a couple pics. More stuff is on my photobucket page.

DSC01025.jpg

DSC01022.jpg

DSC00999.jpg

Here are some good pics of the ARB and the install
http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc109/C_LOWERY/My%2079%20Malibu/?start=20

A

Anonymous

I'm doing a Monte next month Johnny and ordered an extra ARB from TRZ. The parts should be in next week and I could give you a bit of a break on the shipping if you're interested. if you still want to build one and are in Edmonton you could always come by and my shop and measure it up.

If you're interested give me a call. 780-691-0836

C LOWERY

Frequent Racer
Nov 2, 2004
Bates City, MO
chevy406 said:
c lowery was the pick of your car launching before you put in your arb? it looks like the car still twists alot.
Yes it was Here is how it leave WITH the ARB

April08.jpg

I have been meaning to update ma AVATAR. I guess I need to get that done tonight.

C LOWERY

Frequent Racer
Nov 2, 2004
Bates City, MO
C LOWERY said:
chevy406 said:
c lowery was the pick of your car launching before you put in your arb? it looks like the car still twists alot.
Yes it was Here is how it leave WITH the ARB

April08.jpg

I have been meaning to update ma AVATAR. I guess I need to get that done tonight.

I fixed my avatar to the current setup.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts