Rear disc brake bolt on kits.....

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
Does anyone have any in put on them and how good are they? I was thinking of buying a kit,I know that much of the stopping power is on the front,but I just like the look of rear disc with a nice set of wheels.Here is a link to a kit I was thinking of getting.
http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=gbody&Product_Code=AFXRD78S&Category_Code=GMALIBUDISCBRAKEKITS79

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Here's another...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RSD-AFXDS78/

The one you linked said it won't fit '82+ G-Bodies, though I have no idea why if it fits earlier years.

RockAuto.com lists the same backing plate for the 8.5" as it does for many other models, so I'm inclined to think it would be fine. The one I listed shows up as fitting an 8.5" as well.

Tony_SS

MalibuRacing Junkie
Apr 21, 2004
Washington, MO
www.mac-ink.com
I don't remember the part number for my kit... but yes I think it said it wouldn't fit 82 and up for some reason?? Mine's a 79 so I never had any issues... I'm not sure whats different on an 82+ model

The GN 8.5 backing plates are different I think.

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
Is the right stuff kit is as good as the summit kit? Do you have to run a diffrent backspace on the rear wheels If I use this kit?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I would doubt backspace would change more than 1/8-1/4" since you would just be changing from drums to rotors. Some kits specify a minimum wheel size though, but as long as it's not a huge brake kit 15"+ wheels should be fine. I don't think it's the Summit kit, but it's a little cheaper and has drilled/slotted rotors. If you're looking for other inexpensive options, some bolt F-Body rear discs on, I believe they're 3rd gen., but I don't know what custom work is involved, if any.

Tony_SS

MalibuRacing Junkie
Apr 21, 2004
Washington, MO
www.mac-ink.com
80malibucoup said:
Is the right stuff kit is as good as the summit kit? Do you have to run a diffrent backspace on the rear wheels If I use this kit?

The Summit Kit is really an SSBC kit sold under the Summit Name. SSBC is stamped right on the calipers. My Summit kit did push my wheels out a good 3/8" in the rear.

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
Doober said:
I would doubt backspace would change more than 1/8-1/4" since you would just be changing from drums to rotors. Some kits specify a minimum wheel size though, but as long as it's not a huge brake kit 15"+ wheels should be fine. I don't think it's the Summit kit, but it's a little cheaper and has drilled/slotted rotors. If you're looking for other inexpensive options, some bolt F-Body rear discs on, I believe they're 3rd gen., but I don't know what custom work is involved, if any.
You have to cut the axle flange then drill a hole to mount the disk brake bracket.I don't want to go that rought. If I want to remove it and go back to drum if something were to happen.I have two GN 8.5 rear ends both with Limited slip 3:42 gearing.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts