rear disc using weld-on/bolt-on caliper brackets ?'s

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
has anyone tried or know anything about using caliper brackets like these?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1969-1977-GM-CALIPER-BRACKET-3-TUBE,3346.html

They seem pretty straight forward, but what vehicle has a the correct stock rotors and calipers in simplest form to go on these brackets if I didn't want to buy a kit every time I wear them out? Do they just take some standard front caliper, like ones off of A-bodies or something? I'm used to looking parts up by vehicle, so an example vehicle would be good.
I wuold like to go with a bolt on bracket, so as to not have to go to someone to weld specifically on an axle tube.
Just looking for input.
I have an 83 Cutlass with a 7.5" and drums on the back. I feel dumb asking this, but is my axle tube 3" or smaller for my 7.5", I've never measured it?

Thanks.

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
Speedway also has some brackets that use metric calipers like the ones on Your Cutlass. You can use rotors from a 99 S10 2wd they are a little thinner but will work. I think a 7.5" is smaller than 3" but it will just be more of a gap to weld. Anything that bolts on is more expensive.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
What's the spacing of the caliper bolts for the g-body?
I haven't gotten under it to look, but I figure if I could get the whole set up for pretty cheap using stock parts, then it would be totally worth it.

What about these clamp on style?
http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=2120
or these...
http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=71402

Anyone tried these? I'm not sure how well they would sit still under continuous street driving... I would think they would spin around the axle under heavy load.

So let's say I got these brackets and they fit the same calipers that are on the front of my car, then the rotors from the 99 S-10 will fit on the hubs of the axle in place of the drums?
If it's that simple, why not.

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
The clamp on brackets will need to be welded or some people drill and tap the housing for that bolt in the middle. I have run some of the clamp on housing on race cars. It is easier to run a clamp on them because if you bend a birdcage the brake bracket must be removed to change a birdcage. One inch of weld will hold the clamp on bracket. I've used both types of brackets if I think that it won't have to be moved I use the weld on bracket it's cheaper. On a G body that clamp on bracket may also not fit because of the lower control arm mount.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
ooh good point... that control arm mount is right there...

so I end up with either the bolt on or the weld on...

and the rotors? they will just bolt on the hubs and go? no changing axles or anything?

what about backing plates? necessary? where do I get those? from the s-10 as well?

I know this conversion discussion has been beat to death, but I really don't want to change my rear end out for a bigger one yet, I'm not pushing enough power yet... and I can't seem to find a setup that looks simple enough without costing tons of money for stock parts... like the El Dorado swap...

Thanks for all your help...

Ole yeller

Amateur Racer
Jun 10, 2008
San Leon TX
there is a diffrent set of brackets to buy. i cant find them online, will get the part # for you tonight. they weld flat to the back of the peice of metal that holds the wheel cyl. they will use the same callipers as the front. then you by the rear rotors for a 89 (i think) camaro. the only thing is you wont have a park brake and it will space the wheel out a little.

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
awesome... that part would help a lot.

I need the wheel spaced out a little anyway.

so is there anyway to install or run a parking brake on this hub once this camaro rotor is on? I am going to have a manual transmission here in about 2 months and am giong to need one.

Ole yeller

Amateur Racer
Jun 10, 2008
San Leon TX
no on the park brake. what i was thinking about doing was plumbing a valve to the rear brakes that is accesable from the drivers seat. push the brakes and close the valve. or just spend the money on a good aftermarket kit with the internal park brake.

Ole yeller

Amateur Racer
Jun 10, 2008
San Leon TX
part#91641009 will accept the g body front calliper

rjleiker

Amateur Racer
Sep 24, 2008
Derby, KS
kevind said:
Speedway also has some brackets that use metric calipers like the ones on Your Cutlass. You can use rotors from a 99 S10 2wd they are a little thinner but will work.

So what about a parking brake setup at all when using the S-10 rotors?

is there a parking break setup from the S-10 that will transfer over, like the internal brake shoes on the inside of the rotor?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts