Rear Glass

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I searched the site for anything rear glass related. Didn't find anything useful and hadn't posted in a while. So I thought I would post anyway.
Still love my car. Would love it more if the rear glass would adhere to urethane. I have had safelite remove and reinstall it twice and eventually it loses adhesion and begins to rattle. It does not help that I now live in the middle of nowhere and its down dirt roads to get to pavement. So that rattles it even more. No biggie. What I dont understand is why the old glass wont work anymore? Even safelite says the glass sux. It stays on for about one year then deteriorates and begins to lose its bond. The last guy that worked on my car used so much urethane that I am unable to get the trim back on!! It is what it is.
At least the car runs well. The old Tremec is holding up after all these years and an epic thread created back in 2005.. I still have all the pics from those days. I have beat the absolute crap out of that trans ... I mean BEAT DOWNS. Shifting so hard I get blood blisters. Still feels the same from the day I got it.
Anyway. Maybe Ill yank the glass out myself and etch the glass edges with acid or some crazy stuff. Try and install it on my own. Nothing really new with the car. I added Jesel shaft mounted rockers just because I needed a project. I sand on it from time to time and hit it with primer and its uglier than ever. The FiTech fuel injection works and has never been an issue. I thought I bought my last clutch but even that was not Drapes proof. Packed a bunch of my grandkids in the car and backed into a nice puddle to do what I thought was a 2nd gear burnout....... NO, I was in 4th gear and straight dumped the clutch at 5 grand. Clutch didnt enjoy that and I roasted a twin disk McCleod Street Twin rated for 1200hp in about 3 seconds. I replaced the flywheel only and it took a year for the poor disks to stop stinking everytime I drove it though they still kinda smell. It needs a rebuild but I am too lazy these days to drop the trans for that nonsense. It still works stinky so I drive it stinky.
And with that Ill see you later.

Reactions: StreetBu

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
I dont think I have enough power to twist the glass out of the bond and even if I did its not getting to the ground in a meaningful manner Safelite does a great job applying all of the primer. They did the front windshield back in 2009 and its fantastic still. I also had them do all of the quarter glass and those are excellent as well. I hope to get it all sorted out as too. I would probably cry if the glass went flying while driving. I look back on another 79 Malibu I had that I GAVE AWAY to a brat kid who never appreciated it. A fool and his extra RUNNING parts car are soon departed.

Bar50

Pro Stocker
Jan 31, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I have had similar issues with a 78 that I have, driver side top corner starts to let go.

Car didn't have window trim on it when I resuscitated it with a stock motor-home 454 and TH350. The back window flew out and hovered for a couple of microseconds before crashing into the highway and converting into large flake glitter...

I have resealed it twice. I have done tons of older GM cars my whole life, this one seems to be plagued.

Bill in NC

Top Fueler
Jan 1, 2004
Mocksville NC
Meat Drapes, what's up buddy! Man it's been a long time!

I've seen several of these cars that I was able to push the back window out of. I don't know if it's a little surface rust at the adhesive surface that's allowing it to lift, or if body flex is really just that bad. Think of all the Buick regals you see with cracked b pillars around the quarter windows.
Are you still running on the factory body bushings?
Does the car sit outside all the time?
If it helps I have a back glass sitting in the basement if you want to trade and try a different one.

Meat Drapes

Dragway Regular
Mar 26, 2005
Stoutland, MO
Meat Drapes, what's up buddy! Man it's been a long time!

I've seen several of these cars that I was able to push the back window out of. I don't know if it's a little surface rust at the adhesive surface that's allowing it to lift, or if body flex is really just that bad. Think of all the Buick regals you see with cracked b pillars around the quarter windows.
Are you still running on the factory body bushings?
Does the car sit outside all the time?
If it helps I have a back glass sitting in the basement if you want to trade and try a different one.
Bill!!!
How are you? Hows NC? I left the state in 2020 and im loving middle America. Except the road to freedom. To get the Bu to pavement I have to travel down some gravel and dirt and it rattles the car to death. But its worth it!! Driving the back roads of the Missouri Ozarks is fantastic. And being right in the heart of Rt66 there are SO MANY car shows.
Car still has the original body bushings. I suppose that could be a project. And the car does sit outside and gets morning sun on the back. Its under a RV canopy type thing. Need to invest in a cover. Im certain that exposure does not help. The pinch welds are all very nice. I cleaned those years ago and the adhesive does not come off from there. Only separates from the glass. And while I would love to try a new glass. (thank you for the offer!).... I would be terrified to even ship it. I think that Im just going to pull the glass and try something stupid myself. Like etch it somehow. Or invest in Safelite or a local place to R&R the glass every year. Whats $200?
Car still runs excellent. Hope yours does too and you are doing well!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!