rear sping buckets thought

sparkie124

Daily Driver
Apr 2, 2009
Hey all, I am working on a build in the gallery under ultimate street car, but have an imediate question about relocating the rear spring buckets. The body is off the car and the frame is getting notched to fit big meats. My Idea is to raise the sping buckets about 1 to 1.25 inches in order to lower the car with out cutting the springs. I am curently running belltech 1.5 drop spings and the tires are 28.5 tall. It sits to high for my likings so Im looking for an alternative, and while the body is off this will be very easy and there should be no clearence issue with the trunk floor acording to my ruler. Has anyone done this or have reasons not to try it. I may also do a very small c-notch to the rear frame to make sure I still have enough travel. Please let me know your thoughts as I would like to finish all fab work this weekend. Thanks JRM

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Well, you can but it'll be alot of work.....That crossmember that the top of the springs fit into will hit the floor/trunk if moved up any. So you would have to cut the floor out and make a panel to fit over it. Good idea, just alot of fab time.....

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Don't forget to move the upper shock mounts up, too.

Tommy

sparkie124

Daily Driver
Apr 2, 2009
I thought there is some room to move it up with out cutting up the floor, and moving the shock was over looked good call. I THINK i can cut a piece of 6 inch spinkler pipe(perfect wall thickness) 1" long, tack weld a .25" fender washer to the top of the bucket(centered) to guide a 6" hole saw. Then weld the cut out to the 1" pipe, and finally weld that back to the crossmember. same for the shock but smaller size pipe. I have not sold myself on the idea yet--Im waiying for more imput. Thanks JRM

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!