Rear suspension "droop" limiters

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Looking for anyone else who has/had an issue with excessive rear suspension droop while on a frame hoist. Wouldn't have an issue except my "X" pipe is probably positioned alittle too far back. While on a frame hoist, at full suspension droop, the driveshaft will actually be supported by the "X" pipe with allot of the axle weight. Not good. Don't think I've bent the shaft yet and have avoided frame hoists since realizing it.

I'm using KYB standard length shocks. I know there are limiting straps out there but wondering if anyone on here has done anything to their GBody to help control droop. Thanks for any insight.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
I'm running 2" shorter springs in the rear and upon letting the jack down, full droop i was able to remove my rear springs,not as cool as it sounds.I'm running a shorter than stock shock that has solved it.They're Bilstein F4BE5E250M0.upon full droop there's maybe 1/4 gap where the top of the spring and spring pocket meet.I'm also using the stock style cushions up there so delete that and it might be 1/2" gap.I'm sure there are other options out there but worked for me and it doesn't limit the travel at all.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Thanks melloelky, since going to a set of Moog CC635's with the upper pocket rubbers and a full coil cut, I don't have any issues with the springs moving around at full droop/shocks installed. I did have a set of Detroit Speeds 2" drop springs back there and was able to pull em out at full droop w/shocks. I thought they were alittle weak also. The CC635's are "F" Body progressive rate springs and are the best I've found for my application so far.

A shorter set of shocks may cure my situation. Thanks for the part number. I'll check into it's full extension length and compare that to the KYB's length and to what I need, something I haven't even checked into yet. If I can't get the needed length, I may need to fabricate some sort of limiting strap.

Thanks again!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!