Removing rear wheel studs?

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
I am switching to screw-in style wheel studs on my Moser axles and need to remove the press-in wheel studs which are currently installed. What is the CORRECT method to remove them while on the vehicle? I didnt want to just take a hammer to the stud and damage to the rear-end... even though thats what the auto-store guy was telling me.

thanks in advance.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
i've only used a BFH to take out my press in studs. i had arp studs in my old axles and gave them to a friend. he came over, pounded them out with a hammer, and re-used them in his axles. i'm sure there is a tool you can either buy or rent if you don't want to use this method.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
well if thats the way people are doing it, and it doesnt cause damage, I guess that's what I'll try. I have an air-chisel as well I may try first.
thank you

Robert1320

Pro Stocker
Chillin014 said:
I am switching to screw-in style wheel studs on my Moser axles and need to remove the press-in wheel studs which are currently installed. What is the CORRECT method to remove them while on the vehicle? I didnt want to just take a hammer to the stud and damage to the rear-end... even though thats what the auto-store guy was telling me.

thanks in advance.

The correct way is to pull the axles and use a press.

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
also want to state for the record that this was done with the axles out of the car. i didn't know yours were still in the car. maybe someone else has done it this way with the axles in the car?

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
oh lord hahahah. I figured replacing them with the axles in was pretty common. I'm going to start light with the air chisel...I just installed the studs like 2 weeks ago.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
the air chisel removed them with ease, thankfully, so no worries there. I have a posi-differential and when I was tightening down the studs I lowered the wheel on the opposite side to prevent the axle from turning. Well, I was using a hammer on the wrench and the differential began to turn any ways after it was pretty tight. I'm probably being paranoid but I wanted to check with yall and make sure I wasn't forcing the rear-end to do anything unnatural.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts