Removing steering column plastic trim

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
Does anyone have any clue how to remove the palstic trim on the steering column? :-k When i have it in reverse the reverse lights don't come on unless it's in a certain position, also the left turn signal only comes on when it's in a certain position. i want to clean up everything in there and try to fix it.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
It sounds like you have 2 different problems.
1. The reverse lamp switch is at the base of the column and is adjustable.
2. I believe you are describing a turn signal lamps issue related to the steering column and steering wheel are not indexed properly. Have you replace the steering box or steering shaft? or replaced any other front end parts? Did you inherit the car as is? Perhaps someone relocated the steering wheel to compensate?

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
well what i know is that the car was tinkered with, the 2nd owner back took the original tilt light blue column out and put in a tan one that isn't tilt, and did that with other interior parts so now i have to work with the problems. ive wanted to get another tilt for it and happen to be heading out friday to hopefully find door panels off a camino, so if i find a tilt would i still have to match everything up or would it make a difference itself? also im 17 and new to these cars so you'll have to work with me that i don't know a whole lot. and how would i go about fixing both these things? would i be able to look up these things on google?

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
Also this car isn't on the road yet. for the turn signal i mean if you push it down to click it doesn't start blinking or anything unless you push the lever to the bottom corner closest to the driver then it will work. when you turn the wheel it turns off. Not sure if that helps but what you described as if it doesn't shut off by itself, when the wheel is turned straight.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Taking apart and reassembling stuff can be a fun challenge; there is a feeling of satisfaction when everything goes back together and there are no leftover parts.

You may want to teach yourself to go through the column repacking bearings, cleaning/regreasing moving parts, and cleaning up the turn signal switch contacts. There are many guides online on disassembling a GM steering column.

Once the signal switch assembly is out, it can be further taken apart to access the brass contacts. The contacts should be degreased, lightly scuffed until they are shiny, regreased, and reassembled.

Alternatively, you can buy a new assembly; they are not that expensive.

While you have everything apart, you can also clean/scuff each plastic part and repaint them with plastic paint. Doing this exercise would be good practice before taking apart a tilt column, which has more parts.

To adjust the reverse lamp switch, it moves from left to right relative to its base. The 2 pieces are engaged by a series of detents. The switch will click as it moves. While you have the column out, it will make more sense. Or you can easily remove the switch from the column while the column is still installed to study it.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
Thanks so much. big help and il have to look for the guides. =D>

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
Alright well right now, we are working on the quarter and back windows, they are coming out to paint the car, and being resealed because they were leaking. then i'l look at that, So i'l probably do that sunday, or after we paint. i'd like to get the whole car back together, because im starting to forget where every bolt and nut and all that goes, but yeah, i'l have to take pictures, and post in another thread, and show ya how it goes. tty guys soon.

79BuOwner

Amateur Racer
Jul 11, 2011
Actually i just remembered, i was looking at it last night and took off the plastic trim below the column and theres a clear plug that isn't plugged in, i'l post a picture soon of it, i don't know what it's for and there's no connector for it to go to.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts