replace bent tube on 10 bolt rear -end

zl1jim

May 4, 2015
Morning, I need to replace one of the tubes on my 10 bolt, question is: if I drill out the spot welds, heat the center section flange (area where it is spot welded) can I drive the tube out (is it just a press fit) jb

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
They are extremely hard to drill out and very hard to press out. Probably a better option to cut a tube out of another rear and weld it back together or just change the housing if it's s 7.5.

zl1jim

May 4, 2015
Thanks for the reply, the hard part it is a 8.5, I never heard if anyone had removed the tube on one of these, I guess I will remove the axle shaft, use my torch to cut the spot welds out, cut the tube off at the housing them try to split the tube from the inside.....the tube is already junk...just wanted to see if anyone has done this before I started...jb

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
Find somewhere that has a housing jig and see how crooked it is. They may be able to heat the tube and pull it back to where it needs to be.

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
If it's a 8.5 then you may have to try and straighten it. The 7.5" I think are smaller in dia a 8.5 should be 3" at the housing then neck down if it's a G body housing.

zl1jim

May 4, 2015
The tube has a kink where the tube got bent I looked into getting it straightened but felt that the tube would never look right , I may just contact moser ship it to them I hear they can replace the tube, just wanted to do it myself if possible...thanks for the great advise....I am new to your site, two heads are better than one, I have a 1984 el camino that I am working on......jb

bracketchev1221

Dragway Regular
Apr 22, 2009
Mountville Pa
When I did the backhalf on my chevelle, I sent them the housing. They jigged it, narrowed the rear and put the ends back on. Its been trouble free for 13 years.

zl1jim

May 4, 2015
The housing is already on it's way, I still want to try and remove one of these tubes I just didn't want to mess up this 8.5 any more than it already was, I have a 12 bolt but it was a little to wide (for my wheel off set)....thanks for your input......jb

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts