Retrofitting aftermarket wiring harness (and other ideas)...

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I've done some thinking about this in the past & I'm just curious if anyone has done it.

I'm talking about taking some of the original parts (bulkhead connector for the engine/lights, possibly fuse panel) and rewiring it using a barebones-style wiring kit from one of the aftermarket companies like Painless or Ron Francis. All the original (or upgraded in certain cases, say the headlights for high wattage bulbs) connections would be redone so everything would work pretty much as they originally did, but all the connections would be brand new.

I'm also curious where one might find some of these OE connectors... such as the pins for the bulkhead connector and the fuse panel?
http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=30021&SearchAll=Classic%20Cars
30021.jpg

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Re: Retrofitting aftermarket wiring harness...

Hey Doober,
What's goin on? Man you are always lookin into some heavy duty stuff! That would be pretty tedious rewiring a car like that,I'm shure it could be done though,
I think the hardest part would be the terminals as I imagine that if GM didn't make them for themselves some contractor made them specifically for GM and you probably won't find them anywhere as any leftovers were probably thrown away and/or destroyed when the specific assembly was over and they went on to newer models etc. which leaves removing the original terminals from the plugs which isn't hard, tedious but not hard and then uncrimping/unsoldering said terminal which can be
pretty challenging as I've done it a time or two,not a whole car just a plug or two
here and there,if somehow you could find all the different terminals it really wouldn't
be that bad I don't think,also I've been wanting to ask you what's up with the LSX
icon? Is that your new goal? Not that I have any problem with that just typical idle
curiosity!! Catch Ya Later!! KillerDave

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com

Howdy :D I'm one of those types whose brain is always turning, getting new ideas to change/improve on something - "Hmmm, I wonder what it would be like if I did this...?" sort of deal. I had an idea to fabricate/fit a shifter similar to the new GTO/Camaro to a traditional external-shifted (Muncie, etc.) trans to move the shifter back & shorten overall throw (seen here and here). If I haven't seen anyone post about it, I usually put something up to provoke thought, because someone else may be thinking the same thing (i.e. an IRS setup, I believe ECLT or El Corvino posted something about it, or the AWD thread).

The reasons I thought of doing this to the harness was to improve reliability, and to make room for future addons (i.e. electric fans, more accessories, EFI, etc.).

An LS motor has pretty much been my goal all along with this car. It's just a matter of time until I get a motor (stroked 6.0, 6.2, etc.), and a high performance transmission. My current 'dream' trans is either a G-Force 5-speed with a vertical gate shifter, or a Keisler Road & Track 6-speed (video, uses T-56 case/core). Only downside is either trans costs more than every penny I've put into the '81 so far, including buying it :lol: I'm thinking I'll buy a regular T-56 and drive it for a while, then take it out to have it built... may come before or after the LS motor, but I'm thinking before.

383S10

Frequent Racer
Feb 29, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Hey Doober I have seen a few places that sale GM connectors although some of the guys around who have done LS swaps have sent their harnesses off for retrofitting......but here are a couple of sites I have seen.........

http://www.currentperformance.com/Connectors/connectors.html

http://www.statewire.com/index.php?categoryID=111

http://www.lt1swap.com/wiringharness.htm

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com

I meant to mention the other idea I had... removing the front center marker lights for intake ductwork... I don't have easy access to a Malibu right now to check, but I think it's doable. Some black mesh to block larger objects & prevent small foul from being sucked in and you're good to go :D

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio

Yea I know about the always thinking thing as I've been accused of thinking about to many things at once before,has almost gotten me in trouble a time or two,I'll be looking into a T56 projest this Summer,I've procured a T56 out of a 94 LT1 Camaro with all the extras (master & slave & hose & boots & all that stuff) and have also come up with a pretty decent 78 Bu with a 229 v-6 in it,remember the 3100/T5 out of my Camaro I was thinking about a while back? Well the Camaro got a reprieve as I really wanted a six spd if I was going to all the trouble,then ultimatly I want to put a tuned port off of a 305 on to a 267 in that car with the T56 and about a 4:10 rear end,
should run pretty good and get great gas milage,be a good daily driver and then let the 81 get somewhat more radical than I was origrinally anticipating since it'll be an every now & then,cruise in/Friday night Test & Tune deal,of course I'll probably think about that till I change my mind!! Who knows? Later,Spring's almost here! KillerDave

383S10

Frequent Racer
Feb 29, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Dang is this forum psychic or what............last night I was thinking about a ram air set up like a Ford Thunderbolt on my Regal. Using the inner head light positions for the intake screens & converting the outer ones HID hi/lo beams (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390143674744&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT) I had the same thoughts about the Malibus but the set I saw that would work for them is the same set up on the Dodge D-100 Lil Red Pick up with a cold air intake through the parking lights. This is similar to the Malibu in positioning but different in shape(round vs. square) but parkings being nearly the same in placement.
Anyone else have any thoughts on this being a possibility.............

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com

I've seen Regals done like you mention. Personally I don't know if I would go with HIDs though, I haven't seen any that have the proper focus (without heavy modification) and won't blind oncoming drivers. Plus, $40 is less than 10% of the cost of a reasonable HID system, but if it works out let me know. I'd rather go with an incandescent setup that has both filaments in the globe/housing.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com

Uh-oh, just had another idea...

It probably wouldn't give much benefit, but I'm thinking of having some sort of shield made for the gas tank & it could be made part of that. Have you ever seen the air splitters on GT race cars (helps with high speed stability)?
novitec-ross-ferrari-f430-j.jpg

Similar to that, but on a much smaller scale. They wouldn't be very visible from the side, but I figure that it couldn't hurt anything, and would kind of fit the theme I'm going for.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts