Roll Cage Question

Chevy79bu

Amateur Racer
Mar 23, 2012
Peoria, Illinois
I got a buddy that just did a rollcage in a malibu and he did not weld the main hoop and down bars to the trunk to the frame what he did was welded them to a 6"X6" plate like a unibody would and then connected another bar to the main hoop/down bars to the frame I told him I did not think that was NHRA IHRA legal but he claims it is...I have the updated 2012 NHRA rule book but was unable to have any clarification if you could use additional bars as your frame connecting points or not...could anyone clarify this for me. this is more of a curiosity question than anything as all points of my cage in my car are straight to the frame...

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
I believe if the car has a full frame the bars must be welded to the frame. If the car is a unibody/with subframe connectors, them the plates can be used with the two extra bars welded to the subframe connectors. Welding to the floor defeats tieing the frame together,{stiffining the chassis. I welded mine to the frame on every bar and welded the 2 rear bars to the coil spring perches.

Chevy79bu

Amateur Racer
Mar 23, 2012
Peoria, Illinois
well im not sure I was clear enough about what was done...the main hoop points where it connects to the floor of the car is welded to the plates then has a additional bar that 90's down to a cross member that connects to the frame is welded from the main hoop to the cross member so technicly it connects to the frame but just not in a traditional way he is saying this is legal...the thread realy is more for my curiosity because there is no clear understanding by way of the NHRA rule book if this is legal or not in his full frame car. to be honest the cage looks grate it does not look like crap or anything it was just done in a way I have never seen before...the car will be running a very very built 540ci BBC will for sure on motor be in the 9's if not better.

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
I'm not trying to say it's 100% wrong but could be better. I was in shop watching the owner redo a car that had the rear bars welded to the floor plate. You may go right through tech, and you may get a tech guy who may question it. I work at a race track {thou not a tech guy} I also work for the NHRA {not tech also} My old roommate is a Div 7 tech inspector. At most tracks they will just check for normal safety equipment; jacket, belts, helmet, driveshaft loop etc. If you run 10.0 or faster you will need to be certified by an NHRA official. But remember 1 thing YOU are the guy in the car and things can get ugly fast! My current setup runs 10's @ 121. I am putting a 496 in soon and have already started doing the roll cage upgrades before they tell me I have too. Well just some food for thought. Like I said I'm not trying to give you a hard time or bust you, but have had some friends tag the wall going through the top end @140. Try talking to you're local track tech guy. Take care

Chevy79bu

Amateur Racer
Mar 23, 2012
Peoria, Illinois
makes sence I guess...as for myself I have a 10 point cage in my car that is fully welded to frame I was just curious about how he was doing his cage just never seen it before and agin the rule book does not go into much detail but like you said I supose it will be up to the individual tech inspector.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts