Roller rocker alignment question.......

87Aero

Weekend Racer
May 1, 2007
Central Texas
What happens if you use roller rockers with a regular set of heads that do not have guide plates? My heads (Vortec) have a pretty tight area that the push rods go through in the head. What is the difference between that and a guide plate as far as function?
I've seen other castings of heads that have a larger area where the push rods go through, so I could understand that you would need them there.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I really don't know the answer.........

I'd like to use my crane aluminum roller rockers. If I have to buy guide plates and studs, plus the machine work, I would be better off buying guide plates and studs for my RPM heads.

Scott.

87Aero

Weekend Racer
May 1, 2007
Central Texas
Why?

What is the difference?

A

Anonymous

I dont know much about vortec heads.It has something to do with the slots in the head.. for the push rods.

87Aero

Weekend Racer
May 1, 2007
Central Texas
I figured there would be more here that were knowledgeable about this kind of thing.

Supe

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Charlotte, NC
If you use regular rockers without guideplates on regular heads, there will be too much lateral movement, and the pushrod will not ride properly on the top of the rocker.

If you wanted to use regular rockers with the vortecs and guideplates, you'd have to have them machined down for proper stud engagement, and get hardened pushrods as well. So in that sense, yes, you'd be better off doing your other heads if you're set on using those rocker arms.

The Vortec heads may have a "tighter" pushrod hole, but it's still not enough to ensure proper placement of the pushrod on the tip of the rocker. The factory went to self aligning rockers because it was cheaper than guideplates, and there is a little less friction loss.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!