SBC 400 .60 OVER ???"S

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
I have a chance to get a SBC 400(509) shortblock that is .60 and know that .60 over is not GOOD but I can get the shortblock for dirt cheap and it ran good,I was wondering if I get the shortblock could I use the 400 crank and the bearings or how can I tell what size bearings I need for this crank to install it,the engine was recently rebuilted?THANKS

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
60 over is fine I've used a bunch of 400's that were 60 over never had any problems with over heating. Check the crank with a caliper or take if to a machine shop and let them check it.

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
So did you have to do anything special to keep this .60 over 400 cool beside Aluminum radiator,Electric fans and Aluminum waterpump?THANKS

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
So did you have to do anything special to keep this .60 over 400 cool beside Aluminum radiator,Electric fans and Aluminum waterpump?THANKS

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
Aluminum rad., manual fan,aluminum waterpump. It needs to have a fan shroud. If they don't run hot in a dirt track car then it shouldn't in a street car.

CNC BLOCKS

Amateur Racer
Jun 12, 2005
NORTHEAST
WWW.CNCBLOCKSNORTHEAST.COM
kevind said:
60 over is fine I've used a bunch of 400's that were 60 over never had any problems with over heating. Check the crank with a caliper or take if to a machine shop and let them check it.

I would sonic test any 400 block that is going to go .060 over heck we don't find to many that are safe at .030 over.

I have 2 in the shop now where each block has one cylinder that is less then .120 on the thrust side and both are standard bore blocks right now.

I believe the customer is putting them on ebay so if you think .090 is thick enough those are the block to buy!!!!

dickeymoore

Dragway Regular
Mar 19, 2007
Atlanta,Ga.
So do you think it will be OK to run the .60 over SBC 400 shortblock like it is ,I heard the engine run and it ran GREAT,he's just parting it out and its been recently rebuilted with maybe less than 18K miles on it?THANKS

z28krazy

Amateur Racer
Apr 10, 2010
New Braunfels, Texas
I have a 400 that's .060 over and it runs sweet with no problems. The block was partially filled in the water jacket area to strengthen the bottom end, as it is a 2 bolt main block. Even with the fill, it runs cool with a Vega sized radiator.

CNC BLOCKS

Amateur Racer
Jun 12, 2005
NORTHEAST
WWW.CNCBLOCKSNORTHEAST.COM
dickeymoore said:
So do you think it will be OK to run the .60 over SBC 400 shortblock like it is ,I heard the engine run and it ran GREAT,he's just parting it out and its been recently rebuilted with maybe less than 18K miles on it?THANKS

You can have it sonic tested to be sure!!!

I wish I could base all my info on just one engine LOL

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!