Seat Track / Adjuster Spacer Locations - G-Body

ssbrewskyaz

Daily Driver
Dec 8, 2011
Arizona
I'm looking for some direction on the correct placement of the G-Body seat spacers. Bought some seat adjusters and was happy to receive the hardware. I made an assumption the spacers are placed between the seat base and the seat track/adjuster to correct the way the seat sits in the car, but I don’t really know that for certain.

Unfortunately, the Service manual only makes the reference "be certain to pay attention to the location of spacers and reinstall in the same location". Thanks, I would have if I would have been the one taking the stuff apart but I wasn't and therefore need a little insight to their locations.

I'm not even really sure the G Malibu’s or wagons had the spacers. There's no reference to them in the parts catalog. It seems however that after a specific year, yet to be determined, the Monte Carlos and El Caminos used the spacers. Not sure what the change was that drove the spacer addition but that's what it looks like. Granted I haven't spent a great deal of effort researching the year breaks.

The photo shows what I have. I may need more or different stuff but I'm really curious as to what the OE position for the spacers is. I really don’t know what dictates whether they got tall, medium or short spacers and/or for which applications. The parts catalog only lists two part numbers but isn't specific enough as to where they should be located. ...

Surely half the people on this site have either replaced their carpet or replaced seats with something else. If anybody has the spacer key, I would appreciate a peek or if anyone has Monte Carlo or El Camino seats with the tracks/adjusters still installed, do me a favor and have a look between the seat track and the seat base. If there are spacers, let us know where they are (position on the seat) and how thick they are by position.

If not, I'll just experiment until I get the seat angle I'm looking for. Thankz. ...

ssbrewskyaz, ... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :?

DSC02135_zpsf680d350.jpg

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
WOW ! You just gave me something else to check out. All 3 seats that I had came with the narrow spacers in your photo. They go between the seat pan and the tracks. My seats are in the shop and wont be finished for a couple of weeks. All I have in my garage is one bare bottom seat pan which is the same for both sides and the 4 tracks. When I was trying to figure out the track situation I had everything bolted up to the other bare seat pans and they looked like they were level on the floor brackets but they havent been welded in yet. I know a guy with a Monte SS. I'll try to get over there tomorrow after he gets off from work and check his seats out. I might not have the right spacers now that I see yours.

ssbrewskyaz

Daily Driver
Dec 8, 2011
Arizona
Thankz DWR,

Every little bit helps. Like I said, I don't know what the corralation between thick and thin spacers is but I can see a guy using thick spacers in the rear to set the seat back a little straighter, or in the front to provide some additional lean back. In either case, I'm curious what GM's rationale was and how they placed the spacers. We know they engineered the hell out of it so it would be nice to know why. ...

Scott, ... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: ;)

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
I'll also look at the bench seat that was in my car. BTW my user name is Mike but my name is actually Mitch. (long story) I'll put in a reply by the end of tomorrow night.

ssbrewskyaz

Daily Driver
Dec 8, 2011
Arizona
](*,)

Thanks Mitch, Yep, was looking in the wrong place for a name. Also known as multiple site trauma. ... ](*,)

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
The spacers go between the seat & the sliders. I have no idea which ones go where...

Tommy

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Scott, I just looked at the pictures of your tracks in the other thread. Couldnt you put a nut on each one to lock it in place and put a 2' level side to side to see if theyre level ? I would do that over the front mounting brackets and then over the rear. If theyre level you might just have a mixed up set of spacers. My seats are all from a Monte SS and all the spacers are the same thickness. But I still plan on looking at the guys car tonight.

ssbrewskyaz

Daily Driver
Dec 8, 2011
Arizona
Mitch,

Yes, that's my intention but I'm just trying to get to the root of why there are different thickness spacers to begin with. Ultimately what you have suggested is the easiest way to check the seat for level. My curiosity is telling me there's more to this but not to the point I'm gonna loose any sleep over it. I believe as t5MC has stated, the standard Monte/El Camino build would include four of the quarter inch spacers.

Thankz, ... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: ;)

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
So far the seats Ive looked at just have the thin spacers. Maybe it was something a dealer would do to make an adjustment for a customer.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!