serpentine setup alt problem need fixed ASAP PLEASE Help

gotcha79

Amateur Racer
Oct 17, 2009
Harvey,IL
i just did my serpentine setup on my 80 monte carlo and now my cars alt doesnt charge correctly. I purchased the harnes DELCO8078 and now it charges worst then ever.First off let me give you some details about the car
Its a 80 Mc that i swap the dash cluster to one with the gauges and Tach from a 87 MC SS and electric fan from a 2000 intrepid and had everything working correctly chargeing at about 13.5 volts with all on. Now i swap out the drive assembly and installed a serp setup from a 92 Caprice with a 105amp Alt also i installed a DELCO 8078 SI to CS harness for the proper chargeing. But now with everything on it drops down to about 8volts on the factory gauge. Also the 8078 harnes only has one resistor on the yellow wire and not the red as the pic i found on that harness has one on both lines i posted pics of the website pic i found for part #DELCO 8078 and the one i bought from Napa

Attachments

• cssiharness.jpg
    cssiharness.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,482
  • 103116.jpg
    103116.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,468

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
If you could, do me a flavor and check with an ohmmeter between the positive battery cable and the brown wire (with the key on) to see if there is any resistance, you should see something, an open circuit would likely mean you're not getting the connection you need to the alternator for it to start charging.

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
The stock 10SI or 12SI alternators needed that brown wire to excite the field (the rotor) when the alternator was first coming up. No 12V on the brown wire, no charge. The newer alternators don't use the brown wire in the same way. Here are a couple of good links for basic wiring and troubleshooting the newer CS-130 or CS-144 alternators.

CS-130
http://www.delcoremy.com/pdfs/service_manuals/legacy/1G-290.pdf

CS-144
http://www.delcoremy.com/pdfs/service_manuals/legacy/1G-291.pdf

Or the link for other Delco manuals:
http://www.delcoremy.com/Manuals.aspx

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
If you swapped the instrument clusters and didnt rewire the dash wiring accordingly, your gauges will be off, or may not even work. Might want to check that too.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Do you have the part number for the harness to get from Napa? I found the conversion harness on their site and ordered it, but when I came to pick up my parts, the guy said that it was discontinued :-k

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
In all honesty I don't think that adapter is really necessary unless you plan on reverting back to the original SI alternator (why someone would you never know). Plus, if you're using the original wire the charge/alternator lamp in the cluster provides enough resistance, and you can eliminate/tape off the red wire that goes to the 2-prong connector, or use it as a constant +12v source for something like a relay, fuel pump, etc.

gotcha79

Amateur Racer
Oct 17, 2009
Harvey,IL
the adapter for the dash cluster with gauges is part no: EC82 and without the dash gauges is EC83 or something like EC8? from Napa. But like doober said if you dont have the gauges in you dash then you wont need it.

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
Well I'm using the factory cluster from an 85' Monte SS, will it affect anything?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts