SET-UP HELP

MYMONTECARLO

Weekend Racer
Nov 7, 2008
CINCINNATI,OHIO
Like some suggestions on set-up.Car is 1978 montecarlo,w/9" moser built rearend,spool,4/11 gears.I have currie uca's,southside lift bars for lowers,moroso trick springs and comp. eng. 3 -way adj. shock on all 4 corners.the rest of the front end is stock.wondering if any one else, is running currie uppers??l'm having trouble setting pinion angle,need more neg. angle,looks like my southsides are the problem,any suggestions on lowers that you guys use that work,the set-up will be factory more than the lift style w/southsides.double adj. lowers or boxed style?Wondering if i could use southside lowers as box style,moving the location from the bracket that comes with those ,to factory location on housing bracket,what else should i be concerned with if i do that??Also would like to lower car,any suggestion on springs?Can i cut the moroso trick springs to achieve desired heigth without sacrificing spring rate??

Hitting the space bar between sentences would be nice. dancin_banana.gif

Anyway, could use some more info engine. Hp level, weigh etc etc.

As a rule of thumb you want your lower arms to be parallel to the ground.

I would start there.

Depending on who/how the SSM plates were installed you may be able to move them up.

I my case, they were welded inside the stock mount (not by me).

This made the ID one metal thickness too thick to use anything other then a heim end without cutting the whole thing off and starting over.

Of course I found this out a week before I wanted to T&T the car. :roll:

I would suggest adjustible lowers with atleast one heim end to get you started.

Make sure they are going to be long enough by measuring the mounting points now.

I had Comp 3 ways up front (one step tighter on teh D/S) with stock suspension.

Rear set at 50/50, Eibach lowering springs, adjustible UCA and LCA all in stock mounting points.

Car went 1.46 60'.

MYMONTECARLO

Weekend Racer
Nov 7, 2008
CINCINNATI,OHIO
Thanks shotgun for reply.. The engine is a 355 small block. THIS IS JUST A GUESS,BUT HORSEPOWER IS IN THE RANGE 0F 400 -475 ?? I'm also going to run cheater nitros kit to help w/horsepower. The car weighs 3225 pounds w/me and full tank of gas.. It was weighed at local track here in cincinnati,oh. I've measured my southside lowers 20.4" long. my driver side lower is at 10.8 degrees of angle, passenger is at 8.2 degrees of angle.. what ride heigth you running?? what lowers you running or recommend??

With the N20 (assumes 150 shot) you will be at a similar HP to me and I am 3250#.

I have custom CM tubular lowers with heims on each end,pretty much race only.They are mounted to stock holes and are 19 3/4 center to center.

Measure from the stock mounting points ,not the bar it's self.

When buying a set just make sure you don't have to extend them all the way out to get them in. They will be weak at the joint then.

Can't give you a ride height, it's on stands right now. It looked like a stink bug with it's rear in the air until I added the lowering springs. It does sit real close to level, though.

This is the only shot I have that might help you quesstimate my ride hieght.

The rear tires are 30x9 radial slicks.

757764411308_0_BG1-1.jpg

With a custom swaybar it has gone 1.44 at 10flat. Plans are 1.3 somethings this season.

MYMONTECARLO

Weekend Racer
Nov 7, 2008
CINCINNATI,OHIO
Ha, SHOTGUN, Did i see that your running a swaybar/anti-roll system from hrpartsnstuff?? If so how did it help? wondering if you had any clearance problem w/ how far the bar hangs down from rearend.. I'm driving on the street,trying to prevent tires rubbing.. I'm waiting on newer double adj. lowers today,then going to figure what spring heigth i need for the best stance w/IC.

MYMONTECARLO

Weekend Racer
Nov 7, 2008
CINCINNATI,OHIO
I finally put a set of double adj. lower control arms from umi, I set the length at 19 3/4". I found that stock length for g-body is 19 1/4". 'M GOING FROM 20 1/4" W/ SOUTHSIDES, I'll see how that works.... With newer lowers installation was simple,but on my driver side the fit was a little tight , had to take a little material of the spacers, fits great now.. also i purchased hotchkis part # 1401 (adj. brace that supports the mounting points for rear control arms) . Trying to make sure i support the mounting points w/ newer lowers w/ driving on street. I had a problem w/ the bolts supplied , they didn't fit through my currie uppers and they were not grade 8 bolt. I'm also replacing rear trick springs w/moog (5379). See if IC and ride heigth is better. I'll try everything, and get back how changes worked or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sheldonw

Weekend Racer
Apr 13, 2008
MYMONTECARLO said:
Ha, SHOTGUN, Did i see that your running a swaybar/anti-roll system from hrpartsnstuff?? If so how did it help? wondering if you had any clearance problem w/ how far the bar hangs down from rearend.. I'm driving on the street,trying to prevent tires rubbing.. I'm waiting on newer double adj. lowers today,then going to figure what spring heigth i need for the best stance w/IC.

i just put a spohn one in my car and it definatly got rid of the rubbing and fit nice around the pipes but i havent seen the track yet

MYMONTECARLO

Weekend Racer
Nov 7, 2008
CINCINNATI,OHIO
I wanted to see if any one had any suggestion on helping my 60' foot time. i just ran 5 times at local track, my best 60' was 1.809,that was my second run. I was using new hoosier slicks ,28x9x15, did a very weak burnout the first time,60' was 1.811,the third pass was 1.812, the 4th was 1.815,and 5th was the worst at 1.841, but had rearend issue with that pass. I have dbl. adj. ca. pinion angle set at neg.2, moog rear springs, comp. shocks set 50/50 in rear ,90/10 in front. my wheel base is set at 108", lower control arm length is at stock length. No sway-bar. Car now weighs less than 3225..

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts