Setting timing without a timing light

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I got this tip from a guy I worked with... old school circle track racer here in Tucson (watched him rebuild a Q-Jet in about 45 minutes total time to boot :lol:), I don't have my own pics, but it's not a very complicated process.

1)Rotate until the pointer is on the amount of advance you want, marking it with marker/paint/etc. will likely help
DSC02905.jpg

2)Pull #1 plug and make sure it has enough ground for spark

3)With ignition on, rotate distributor (assuming it's already installed, plug wires on, etc.) until you see spark at the plug. Do this back & forth in smaller and smaller amounts until even the smallest movement fires the plug. Once you're satisfied, tighten the hold down and you're done :D

It's not 100000% accurate, but if you don't have many tools handy, you're guaranteed an engine that is timed enough to fire and run somewhat acceptable. At the very worst you should be able to drive it until you have access to a timing light... though I consider a timing light one of the crucial tools in hot rod building :roll:

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
That's similar to how I install my distributors after verification of TDC on the balancer and timing tab.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!