She fits....kinda

78Bu88SS

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
Well weather was decent today so I test fitted the LQ4 in the monte today. I used the Transdapt 4592 motor mount adapters, factory SBC clamshells and frame side mounts. The motor bolted onto the stock frame pads after some fighting. The frame pads need to be moved up 1/4" or so towards the top of the cradle. The bolts are in but its tight. When I swap my poly mounts in I'm gonna enlongate the holes some and move them up slightly. This isnt totally needed, but I'd rather have it fall on the mounts then have to be wrested with.

Anyways, the truck PS pump pulley hits the stock SS steering box. The pulley measure 6.75", I'm gonna see if I can locate a smaller diameter one which should fix that problem.

Onto rhe headers, the Scholenfeld headers fit like total crap using the Transdapt mounts. Both need to be reworked. The drivers side (which I have done already) has the #5 tube go right into the steering shaft. I cut the tube and moved it, which solved that problem. The #1 or 3 tube (can't remember) had to be dimpled some right on the front side where it goes past the engine crossmember. This header took maybe 2-3hrs of time to make it work.

The passenger side header is gonna be a pain. #1 tube goes right into the engine crossmember. Two more tubes hit the rear LCA mount.

My plan is to put in my dummy 2004r next weekend, make the trans mount, mount the drivers side header and check that for final fitment, then rework and finish the passenger side header.

So all in all, the transdapt motor mount adapters are ok, the Scholenfeld headers arent all that good, but for $235 new for 1 3/4" long tubes, they arent terrible. I dont think anyone has found a set that fits without any mods, especially this cheap.

The PS pump pulley and some of the header issues might not have been a problem if the motor was farther back. But if that were the case, the head would be into the heater box no questions asked. As of now, the V/C clears fine. I'm gonna put on the coil pack next weekend and see what that looks like. Even if it needs a "tweak", its not a big deal.

There really isnt much to show yet, next weekend I'll shoot some pics for those who are interested.

Horsepwraddict

Pro Stocker
Mar 3, 2007
Princeton MA
nice dude, it'll be well worth the effort when its done. Cant wait to see pics.

A

Anonymous

I used a pulley from a 92ish 2.8L s10. had to grind the back of it down about 1/16" for it to sit back right. I tried quite a few before I found one that fit so this should save you some time.

78Bu88SS

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
ehacker01 said:
I used a pulley from a 92ish 2.8L s10. had to grind the back of it down about 1/16" for it to sit back right. I tried quite a few before I found one that fit so this should save you some time.

You ground where the rear of the hub sits against the ps pump correct?

Thats a big help man!. Any pics of your front accessories?

How much clearance do you have to the steering box? Your car together yet?

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I take it that you're not going to run A/C? Do you think the A/C compressor will fit without frame notching?

78Bu88SS

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
No a/c, I never had the compressor to even see if it would fit. I'll snap some pics this weekend when I get back home.

78Bu88SS

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
So far, yes still have the truck pan. It appears it will clear the stock crossmember fine, but I'll know once I get the trans in this weekend.

Id honestly say there isnt any less ground clearance then one of those fancy Honda's, but I'll try and get it on the ground this weekend also and see whats what.

A

Anonymous

78'Bu-88SS said:
ehacker01 said:

You ground where the rear of the hub sits against the ps pump correct?

Thats a big help man!. Any pics of your front accessories?

How much clearance do you have to the steering box? Your car together yet?

correct, the back side so it can slip in just a little further...just around where the shaft is. There is quite a bit of clearance now. If you used clamshells it would sit up a little higher and might clear with the stock pulley...but then again, my motor is moved back about 1-1.5"

P1010082-1.jpg

P1010083.jpg

P1010084.jpg

P1010085.jpg

P1010086.jpg

78Bu88SS

Dragway Regular
Nov 1, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
I wasnt too happy with the way things were fitting with the Transdapt mounts. I ended up bolting up my core 2004r trans and bolted that into the stock location. This will allow me to run the stock crossmember and driveshaft length. I unbolted the stock frame side mounts. The entire motor moved back 1-1.25". This allowed the PS pulley to clear fine.

Second issue was the pan was hitting the engine crossmember on the passenger side. The motor will have to be raised 1-1.5" to have everything clear. At this point, I dont feel the truck pan will really be an issue with ground clearance.

I'm gonna reinstall the motor mounts spaced up this weekend and hopefully bolt the motor down. Then back to the headers.

The new holes for the frame side mounts are actually already there.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts