Shifter issue

rpoudrier

Weekend Racer
Nov 29, 2008
mass
Hey guys my 79 Malibu has a muncie m21 trans and was using a hurst competition plus shifter until it broke on me yesterday, the shifter has only been installed for a short time (half of last season and only used about a month this season) problem is warrantee is out of the question, I bought it off he guy I bought the muncie from, and he got it the same way. Brand new in the box. So who knows how long ago this thing was actually purchased by a retailer or even who the retailer was. Anyways, I do not want to spend $250 on a replacement for it to happen again. My question is what other options do I have as far as brands? By the way, this is mainly a street car but I want to hit the strip eventually, I am looking for something that can handle a little gear slamming . Any help would b appreciated

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
What broke? You can almost completely rebuild those shifters. If you're going to an NHRA track, I'm pretty sure you have to have a neutral safety switch or at least a reverse lockout. I know for sure 11.99 & under requires an SFI flywheel, bell housing & scatter shield.

Tommy

rpoudrier

Weekend Racer
Nov 29, 2008
mass
All the I have the sfi bell, and fly as well as the clutch, it's the shifter itself that is my issue, i was leaving work going through the gears and it just stopped shifting, the car is stuck in 3rd gear. All the selector plates in the shifter wobble around in the housing which they did not do before, I can't even move the shift lever

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!