Should I DIY or leave it to the pro's?

fastrat350

Top Fueler
Oct 25, 2003
South Texas
www.freewebs.com
Hey guys I have a 8.5 GN axle, but is not posi, I bought another 8.5 axle from a camaro with posi and 4:10 gears, I want to swap the posi and gears over to the GN axle. I was planning on having a shop do it but money is tight, and would like to do it myself, im the kind that likes to do it myself if isnt too hard. Would i need to get all the special dials and such to install it? Should I let a shop do it? All I want to do is swap internals, both axle are the same spline, posi is in great condition. What do I need if I want to do it myself?

DanielM

Frequent Racer
Aug 29, 2008
Racine, WI
I can pretty much do it all for myself also *BUT* as far as rear ends I would leave it to the pro's the cost of replacing the parts if something isn't done right would out weigh the cost to have it built.
Just my 2 cents
Dan

purple barney

Frequent Racer
Mar 29, 2009
Raleigh NC
DanielM said:
I can pretty much do it all for myself also *BUT* as far as rear ends I would leave it to the pro's the cost of replacing the parts if something isn't done right would out weigh the cost to have it built.
Just my 2 cents
Dan

x2 let someone who is quailfied set the ring and pinion depth it will save you a lot more time and money in the long run...

MalibuMan1979

Frequent Racer
Aug 17, 2008
flint, (lapeer), michigan
i have found that you can do all the setup your self if you take your time. i did mine but i wanted to learn and i figured if i splat a 7.5, so what? you are going to need a good dial indicator, a stand, a shim kit with crush sleeve, a press, a good manual or video or both, also imo a pinion depth indicator, a torque wrench that reads inch pounds. you get where i am going? i would recomend having a rear end shop do your 8.5. by the time you get all the tools and kits, i'll bet you can pay someone to do it cheaper. also, (i had to press my inside pinion bearing off about 3 times because i kept getting different readings with my dial indicator), it is very time consuming. how much is your time worth. btw, i did my 7.5 about 3 years ago. posi, 3.73s, new bearings and seals. it is still working great. good luck.

lilbowtie

Pro Stocker
Oct 5, 2004
Canton Mi.
If you have access to the tools go for it! - I honed out a bearing to set the pinion depth and installed new one once it was shimed right. Its not rocket science.

MalibuMan1979

Frequent Racer
Aug 17, 2008
flint, (lapeer), michigan
lilbowtie said:
If you have access to the tools go for it! - I honed out a bearing to set the pinion depth and installed new one once it was shimed right. Its not rocket science.
i tried the honing the bearing thing. my hone would not cut it. the bearing was too hard.... get this.... i heated my pinion bearing in my bbq grill for just a few minutes at low heat. placed the shim on the pinion and DROPPED the bearing on the shaft. installed the pinon and checked depth. worked great...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts