Speedometer conversion?

k-man

Weekend Racer
Jul 16, 2007
Canada
In my 78 Malibu I have a mechanical speedometer that is the sweep style but it's has been making the worst squeaky sound that is getting worse and the needle is sticking sometimes too. My manual doesn't describe replacing it very well but it seems like it's tricky getting it out and running a new cable to the transmission. So I'm wondering if it's possible to install an electric speedometer instead since I like the design better and then I wont have this problem in the future again.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Not without a lot of work, I know it's not easy taking it out. Do you have cruise? If so, you can disconnect the cable from the cruise box, and that makes it a lot easier to get to the clip on the back of the speedometer. See if you can tell if it's the cable or the speedo makin' the noise, and maybe try some lithium grease? shrug.gif The easiest way I've found is just to have a small screwdriver handy to stick behind the speedometer and pry away from the back of it (in the same direction as the cable) to take the cable off.

*EDIT*
I could just be blowin' bubbles, but there's a chance some sort of conversion can be done to retrofit it with the necessary electronics to operate the speedometer (removing the magnets, etc. completely).

k-man

Weekend Racer
Jul 16, 2007
Canada
So to disconnect the speedometer cable I don't have to pull the whole gauge console? I've been looking for some good pictures of how to take it apart but haven't found any for my car yet since there's so many different ways there constructed.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
You can disconnect it and take out the clutser without pulling the cable off the back of the speedometer, but I wouldn't recommend it, because if you were to reinstall it you'd have to snake the cable back through the firewall, and that area behind the dash is really tight. Here's a pictorial of how the cable connects to the speedo:

0900823d8011cb8c.gif

Once you've done it once or twice (or in my case about 5,000 times) it's a breeze to connect/disconnect. But still, if you disconnect the cable going to the cruise box (or even the transmission if you don't have cruise) it makes it a whole lot easier to get your hands/tools behind the cluster to get to that retaining spring that's shown in the picture.

k-man

Weekend Racer
Jul 16, 2007
Canada
Ok I got my speedometer out and gave it a good cleaning and also took out my speedometer cable and found it was it pretty rough shape. It seems the lower part of the cable is covered in trans fluid and when I looked down by the transmission there was a bit of fluid leakage around the speedo gear housing. So I figure I need to replace the worn out cable but how do I go about fixing the leak at the transmission? Do I need to replace the speedometer gear and it's housing?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
You might just need an o-ring for it.
O-RING

If the cable housing itself is covered in fluid you could probably just clean it off. Since you have the speedo out, I'd say go for a drive around the block to make sure it's not the cable. If it's the cable, you might be able to spray a bit (read:quite a bit) of lithium grease to see if it stops, or if you want you could just replace the cable as well, but it won't be easy as sprayin' the crap out of it ;)

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts