standalone ECM and TPI?

gbodystuff

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2009
Iowa
If I were to run a MegaSquirt or any other aftermarket fuel injection system, what would I need to retain from my factory TPI? I have a whole 89 Trans Am TPI out of the car but tracing down the VATS stuff, various relays, etc. was a pain. Taking the dash out wasn't as much of a pita as I thought at first....but I was curious as to the easiest route. Ideally, I'd like to just keep the fuel injector harness and go aftermarket from there. Thoughts?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Have you looked at DynamicEFI as well? You can use the original ECM housing and the learning curve isn't quite as steep (I don't think anyway).

gbodystuff

Amateur Racer
Mar 30, 2009
Iowa
I found some hardware that serves to re-flash the PROM for the factory ECM...an emulater it's called...a buddy of mine is a Ford Mustang nut who is interested in helping design a program for use with my TPI once we get the water cell going. The OBDI is easy to manipulate for what I intend to do so we might start there then possibly go to a FAST or MS system. Baby steps first....lol.

jrdrag

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
As long as you have the factory wiring diagram and the connector that ran to the ecm, the MS is as easy as cutting the plug off and installing a new one with the wires in the correct places for MS. I did MS and although there were some challenging times, as long as you follow their guide you will do fine. MS is a teaching tool. You HAVE to learn how to tune an engine to use it. I am and engineer so I enjoy know how everything works.

big-angry-hillbilly

Amateur Racer
Mar 28, 2009
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
FAST is good, and painless also makes a wiring harness for the engine, but it is primarily designed to use the factory ECM....so no real point in spending six hundred bucks on a harness to chop the connectors off the end of it, in my opinion.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts